Can I lower my rear fender?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
So I've got myself these 17" wheels running 190/50/17 tires, but will be switching to stockish height 180/55/17s once I get things all bolted up. I know some guys don't like the look of a not-stock wheel under that rear fender and I'm wondering if there's a way I could lower the whole thing with spacers or something. I believe the WP shocks I've got on the back are actually 13.5" so I should have some room to play as far as travel goes. Has anybody looked at this as a possibility or do I just get to look at a little bit wider gap from now on?

Also, we're iced in here in Fort Worth, so I'm day-drinking. Please excuse any grammar or punctuation errors.

It could be done but the gap created between the fender and the seat and grab rail will look weird for sure.

Shorter shocks will make a 17" look OK IMO.

picture.php

Could always split the difference or space it out just enough to keep the gap between the seat/grab bar small so that dosent look weird.

Just me but I think the big gap between the fender and tire look good.
But that's probably cause I like the sport tails and "sport bikey"/street fighter look.

Minus the ridiculously high EU type tails of course.

Just me but I think the big gap between the fender and tire look good.
But that's probably cause I like the sport tails and "sport bikey"/street fighter look.

Minus the ridiculously high EU type tails of course.

I like the euro look as well, that's why I'm partially not worried about it. I'm mostly wondering because I had an idea about an under-rack auxiliary fuel tank. Maybe 1.5 gallons that could be mounted under my luggage rack so I wouldn't lose rear seat space for touring. I need to do some measurements for volume and spacing, but it could work out pretty well and maybe not break the bank.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Try a 190/55 tire.

Now that's pretty close to stock. There's a 190/50 on there now and I certainly don't hate the look. I was mostly thinking 180 to make it a bit easier to get it past the final drive. I still have to loosen the pumpkin either way, though, so getting a closer-to-stock size would probably be best. Thanks for the tip.

Try a 190/55 tire.

Without notching the swinging arm I suspect the tyre will rub.

I needed to do the washer swap to get a 180 Bridgestone to fit.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Unless you spend most of your time looking at your bike I reckon how it sits when there is a load on board is more important.
If it looks right without rider/ pillion/ luggage then it will appear too low when the additional weight is added..

The 190 fits in there now with a washer swap. It's possible that I'll get a new tire and it won't fit, though. Do you have a 180 on an 18" wheel or 17"?

The 190 fits in there now with a washer swap. It's possible that I'll get a new tire and it won't fit, though. Do you have a 180 on an 18" wheel or 17"?

It is a 180/55 on a 17" Dymag

Another thought regarding the mudguard - you could consider one of the shorty versions, as seen on Mr Midnights Max?
As suggested in my previous post there will be a smaller gap when the suspension compresses.

picture.php

Back