Can I reuse my stock brakelines when I put on Hayabusa calipers and R1 rotors?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon6.0

Reaction score
I've got the Hayabusa calipers and R1 rotors waiting in my garage. Once I get the adapters in the mail I'm going to swap them out. Can I reuse my stock brake lines and just hook them up to the Hayabusa calipers until I buy some Galfers lines?

Also, do I just reuse the old rotor mounting bolts for the new R1 298mm rotors?

I would think you could if they're long enough.

Just curious, who made you caliper adapters for that combination?

Mark

Ah, thanks....I remember that post now.

Sean, are you ever going to do adapters for R1 calipers? Just curious.

Mark

Stock lines should work fine but maximum benefit would be with braided lines. Also, I think the R1 rotors should fit as is but on newer bikes (or with newer forks) you would need to counterbore the bolt holes since the head rubs on the fork legs. Double check this on your early forks.

Haven't gotten around to making the R1 adapters but these are easier to make and gives you 6 piston brakes anyway!

Sean Morley

Stock lines should work fine but maximum benefit would be with braided lines. Also, I think the R1 rotors should fit as is but on newer bikes (or with newer forks) you would need to counterbore the bolt holes since the head rubs on the fork legs. Double check this on your early forks.

Haven't gotten around to making the R1 adapters but these are easier to make and gives you 6 piston brakes anyway!

Sean Morley

What do you mean by counterbore the bolt holes? You mean on the rotor itself? Where could I get that done at?

Edit: What about bolts with shorter heads?

The R1 rotors are not relived for the bolts to sit inside the rotor partway. The bolts will stick out a bit more then with stock rotors. Not sure if it will be an issue with the smaller forks. Let me know though as it will be nice for others doing the same conversion. We have been using the newer Vmax rotors.

I would not suggest chaing the bolts and not sure what temper or type you really need with it too.

Sean Morley

The R1 rotors are not relived for the bolts to sit inside the rotor partway. The bolts will stick out a bit more then with stock rotors. Not sure if it will be an issue with the smaller forks. Let me know though as it will be nice for others doing the same conversion. We have been using the newer Vmax rotors.

I would not suggest chaing the bolts and not sure what temper or type you really need with it too.

Sean Morley

Just eyeballing it I may have enough room. There is definitely enough room to shave the top of the stock bolts a little if necessary. Hopefully I will not need to. I would almost rather just get some 93 and up rotors from you rather than try do shave stuff off brake components though. As soon as those adapters I ordered from you show up I will post pics and details about it though. It would be nice to be able to use the R1 stuff since they are pretty prevalent.

Latest posts

Back