Can this work on Vmax? Progressive Suspension 444-4051C 444 Series

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxwannabe

Reaction score
The model number 4051 is for Harley. Progressive Suspension site says 4218 or 4212 or Vmax.
They are both 13". I'm looking to replace my 21 years old rear stock shocks.

Not-sure why you don't buy the correct shocks? I suspect you've found a pair on CL or facebook market, and are hot-to-trot on the purchase. A starting point would be to find-out the weight of the H-D they are supposed to fit, and compare it to the ~600 lbs weight of a Gen I. Any significant difference, and you'll need to buy a proper set of springs for your shocks. There-goes your savings! There are different bushings you can get for the mounting eyelets, having different I.D.'s. Another consideration is the width of the H-D eyelet compared to that of the V-Max. A lack of compatibility here could cause a serious point of weakness in the mounting, not something you want to-have happen, your ass collapsing onto a spinning tire because a shock mounting stud or a shock eyelet broke. That's an extreme example, but remember that first b&w album cover art by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and Robert Bonham?

Where are you located? Someone may have a set they're looking to sell, properly-sized.

Everything he said above:cool: plus the assumption that this bike is a road-going scoot and not a track bike.

I remember looking into this once, IIRC the stock shock length for a Vmax rear is 12 or 12.5". Any variance on the rear height should be matched by the front to keep the handling in check, but I would lean towards preserving the OEM ride height. I did putt around on a friends Fat Boy and it's definitely lighter than the Gen1. They look like they should weight about the same but the Vmax has a bit of extra engine weight. My guess is a replacement designed for an HD is going to come with some compromise. At some point I found a data sheet/buyers guide for Progressive shocks, that would allow you to at least see what the differences really are, including spring weight, length and mounting eyes. I'll see if I can find it after I get done with my morning ritual. I think it might be on Progressives own sight. Seems I had a short list of other part numbers that I could work with.

BTW, I'm still running my OEM rears with the Progressive fronts, they work quite well but I'm still half-assed looking around to replace them with Progressives at some point, when/if I stumble onto a decent deal. The Progressive fronts made enough of a difference in ride and handling that it took the heat off doing the backs, and I may never get to it. There is a limit to how much $$ I'm going to throw into a $5000 bike anyways. I figured if I went with the radial tires then it would make more sense to replace the shocks too, but it's all stuff I'm not likely to do since the cost of those two things will literally get me a used GSX, CBR or SV to rip through the hills.

The best $500 I've ever spent on this bike was a vastly improved seat but it's a moderately ridden bike with no track days, just some HD dusting from light to light and normal day rides through rural nowhere. Surprisingly (or not) my 89 Venture handles better than the 99 Vmax.

BTW, Welcome!!

The model number 4051 is for Harley. Progressive Suspension site says 4218 or 4212 or Vmax.
They are both 13". I'm looking to replace my 21 years old rear stock shocks.
I got the 4212 black for my 1985 max 13" and they work great. amazon is where I got them. they say this won't work but they do. misinformation on their part. followed the sag instructions and it was too firm so I just kept backing off the spring load to find my comfort level. I also have the progressive front springs in my forks. best of both worlds.
https://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1423/444-series-shocks
later, bill

The stock VMax is 13" O.C. unmounted. An EVO H-D Softail with fuel is about 665 lbs. so the H-D is about 10% heavier in this case, I suspect the springs should be softened a similar amount, unless you weigh 300 lbs.

Thanks all for the info. Yes, it was indeed a half priced new on ebay I was considering. Reading you guys' advice I think now I'd rather have a nice Corbin than a rear shock. I got my gem for much less than $5K, so I need to spend wisely. Did progressive springs and new seals and oil last weekend. All my other motos are quick turning sport bikes, so quicker turning Vmax will be welcome.
I'm in San Jose, CA, so if anyone has nice newer than 1998 stuff, I can totally use it.

Thank you for welcoming me in the community:

39869262273_f33b296ac6_k.jpg

Im running 430 black progressive shocks and love them, I'm 240,the bike is heavier with mods these shocks smooth it out and look good doing it.IMG_20190812_174005474.jpg

Back