Can you guys with the Gen 2's answer my question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, by now you probably have a pretty good idea of what to expect.... except the truth is, it's like trying to describe to someone how hot a pepper is. The 1700 is whatever you want it to be. It will happily put around like an overgrown moped, or make the blood drain out of your head..... I offered the keys to my 2014 to a good friend one day. I told him, ride it like a sane person for the first mile or two. When you feel comfortable, get it pointed straight and in 3rd gear around 45 mph crank it. He came back and asked me if I was crazy... because only a crazy person would ride something like that as daily transportation.... I thought it was funny, and both of the voices in my head did too. Because you have ridden a gen 1, you will most likely love the gen 2. It takes all the gen 1 had and turns it to 11. I love mine. Best bike I have owned.

Attachments

• 29791419_10215755744549532_43055143764296464_n.jpg
    29791419_10215755744549532_43055143764296464_n.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 8
Here is the problem, I had a lot of bikes during my college years, then a family and kids for many years and no bikes, then in 2020 with Covid, bikes were dirt cheap so I bought some again. I have a Gen 1 Vmax, 900 Eliminator, M109 as an example. I have always planned on buying a 1700 Vmax, never any doubt. However, I have been reading some of the postings about the Guru flashing and other stuff, and I am starting to wonder if I could ride one safely. I ride my Vmax, 900, and M109 as aggressive as possible up to 80 without doing burnouts, so I am used to getting the most out of the bike 0-80. But I am reading and seeing videos on Youtube of 1700 Vmax guys doing burnouts in 3rd going 70 mph, 2cd gear at speed, and now I am wondering if the bike can be ridden safely in rain for example if you get caught out in it. The guys in they videos, are they using their clutch to start the burnout, surely not just giving it quick throttle?

I was just about ready to buy one, then saw some more stuff, and am wondering.

So what is it like to ride a 1700 Vmax, and can it be ridden safely by average riders that are used to getting on the throttle up to speed?

As someone who has owned the Gen 1 VMAX and the 900 Eliminator and currently own a Gen 1 (1985) and Gen 2, I feel I can give you some reasonable feedback. My Gen 2 does have the Guru mod with stock pipes. That being said, even with it being "Gurued" I find it no different than stock in terms of ride-ability. The Gen 1 has less HP but the way the boost kicks in is more violent than the Gen 2, that combined with the chassis and handling I find that the Gen 1 is more difficult to ride in weather conditions. The Gen 2 is quite a feat of engineering and I feel much safer on it than the Gen 1. I love them all but if I had to choose one it would be the Gen 2 all day long. It is just a better handling, better engineered and more capable bike.

Thanks. Did you have to tune the bike after the Guru Ecu flash? Did you de-cat your original exhaust, or just leave it totally original and just added the Guru flash?

Thanks. Did you have to tune the bike after the Guru Ecu flash? Did you de-cat your original exhaust, or just leave it totally original and just added the Guru flash?
i bought my bike and it had the pc 5 on it with a 4 into hindle i mean it was good but i found it jerky, so i sent my ecu to the guru tim nash in florida and i got it back in about 10 days or so and i am in ontario canada, and now the bike runs smoother than before and power unbelievable burnouts just twist the throtle no problem, its awesome, i found one little issue and i guess its normal after the flash my cold starts are a little slow, have to hit the starter 2 twice for about a 3 seconds and usually it starts, so there you have it my friend its a blast......

Turn ignition to on and let tach sweep and then key off. Then turn ignition to on again and let tach sweep again. Then start your bike. Seems to help when bike has set for a day or more inho

Back