Can you start without a gas tank?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn_t

Reaction score
My gas tank is quite rusted and I don't think it is repairable. When I shake it, it rattles with rusty sludge and I think I can even see a tiny hole in the bottom of the gas tank where it may have rusted through. The outside looks really new so it is unfortunate.

I was thinking of ordering a second hand gas tank from eBay or something, but wondered if there was a safe way to fashion a temporary gas tank to see if the bike starts and what other work might need to be done before ordering a new gas tank and finding that there are more expensive parts needing replacement down the line. For example, do the carbs need to be replaced, rebuilt or just cleaned and tuned?

I already know there is good compression and a good spark. The fuel pump works and the carbs open and close smoothly and evenly for the 4 carbs so it seems the diaphragms are still in tact.

Safety is important to me so if there isn't a safe way than that is fine!

Thanks,

Shawn

I made one out of an old screw topped tin with some appropriate sized tube soldered into the bottom and a small hole drilled into the lid.

This was suspended over the carbs to provide a gravity fed fuel supply.

An alternative would be to acquire a tank from a petrol mower.
Just be careful that the owner doesn't catch you removing it.

I use an old tank from a snowblower I had that chucked a rod for when I have to run bikes without a tank. Looks like this:

oesbdur1a_mtd_drive_unit_access.jpg

I have a couple "hooks" on it that allow me to hang it off the bars and it has a shutoff valve that I can turn on and off. It just gravity feeds the carbs.

This is all for stationary work though, no ridding like that.....:wacko:

Some guys just hang a plastic bottle with a hose and bottom cut out for testing, but I've never felt comfortable with that. A small tank at least has a cap in case it gets knocked over by mistake. Fuel valve is nice too for installing and removing it without having fuel pour all over everything.

I added an in line fuel filter too. Added insurance against crap getting into the carbs.

Yep, same type of set-up I use, all made from scavenged parts, though the fuel filter is new. Use a petcock, and any time you're working around gas, have a fire extinguisher handy and a charged garden hose to wash out your eyes if you get any in there.

I was at Habitat for Humanity & saw a square gas tank, off some small engine, but I already have my old system. I might check the structural integrity and replace it w/the H for H tank if I see any plastic deterioration, it's probably 25 years old, stored away from light and ozone.

I use an old tank from a snowblower I had that chucked a rod for when I have to run bikes without a tank. Looks like this:

oesbdur1a_mtd_drive_unit_access.jpg

I have a couple "hooks" on it that allow me to hang it off the bars and it has a shutoff valve that I can turn on and off. It just gravity feeds the carbs.

This is all for stationary work though, no ridding like that.....:wacko:

Some guys just hang a plastic bottle with a hose and bottom cut out for testing, but I've never felt comfortable with that. A small tank at least has a cap in case it gets knocked over by mistake. Fuel valve is nice too for installing and removing it without having fuel pour all over everything.

I added an in line fuel filter too. Added insurance against crap getting into the carbs.

whats with all the rusted Vmax tanks,?? mine included......Junk metal ? Ive had tons of bikes over the last 40 years that don't have this problem to this extent. I've never seen so many articles on rusted vmax tanks on the forums.

whats with all the rusted Vmax tanks,?? mine included......Junk metal ? Ive had tons of bikes over the last 40 years that don't have this problem to this extent. I've never seen so many articles on rusted vmax tanks on the forums.
Mine is one of the first ones made and it looks perfect inside.:confused2:

Just remember, our fuel system draws fuel into the carbs via a pump, so for testing purposes, you can use any gas safe container, strapped to the seat.

Your best bet, even if you purchased a new tank, is to coat it.
Same thing happened to me..
I used the KBS 3 step tank coating system.
So far, crystal clean gas.. 4 years and running.

Thank you for the responses everyone. I'll definitely coat the new gas tank when I get it!

Ethanol.

Blame the government. Alcohol (which is mixed with gasoline) attracts WATER.....even out of the air. Water then settles at the bottom of the tank.

Blame the government. Alcohol (which is mixed with gasoline) attracts WATER.....even out of the air. Water then settles at the bottom of the tank.

I blame the Govt. LOL. So what can I do......my fuel range is limited and sometimes I need gas NOW and I'm stuck in some crapy little town that only has ethanol ?
Carry methyl hydrate ? You can get those tiny little bottles of it.

If you do fill up with E-10, only get a bit, or run out of it as much as you can and then fill up with non ethanol fuel. Hey, it gives you an excuse to ride more.

These older tanks were not designed to handle water that is being drawn in because of Ethanol in the fuel. It creates rust that makes it to your jets.

Best bet is to pull and coat your gas tank.. That way, No rust..

I used the KBS 3 step motorcycle tank sealing kit..
So far (4 years now), Crystal clear gas.. No rust in filter or tank.

I finally found some time to try to get my VMAX running again and decided to try to use the fuel pump to draw some gas into the carbs. However, it looks like the fuel pump isn't able to draw fuel through the fuel filter nor does it seem to have any suction. Does it need to be primed or is it bad?

Check out this video: https://youtu.be/yBAKKANY_uk

Thanks

I finally found some time to try to get my VMAX running again and decided to try to use the fuel pump to draw some gas into the carbs. However, it looks like the fuel pump isn't able to draw fuel through the fuel filter nor does it seem to have any suction. Does it need to be primed or is it bad?

Check out this video: https://youtu.be/yBAKKANY_uk

Thanks

Put the hose back on turn the fuel pump on and open the drain screws on the carbs to see if the fuel comes out of the drain hose. Or can can remove the hose going to the carbs and see if it pumps out from there.

Latest posts

Back