Can you talk me out of a full exhaust and stage 7 kit?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock is less to go wrong, modified is what we all want to do to gain an edge, or to look cool. You are not likely to get back your $$ spent on mods.

As long as it's bolt-ons, you can always go back. If you're playing w/someone else's $ then "mod-away" and keep the Monkey happy.

I've scrounged the finances to buy a full exhaust and a stage seven, but I've had people try to talk me out of it, SO, I figure that people who have done this to their bikes can give me a better perspective. One is that it's not worth it (A guy shoved my bike over, so he's paying for the exhaust), how much would it cost to have a mechanic instal the stage 7 kit? Is that something I could do? I doubt it, so what should that run? Another is that I would make it too much of a race bike to commute or ride very far on; I've actually over built an old Porsche so now it is a bit hard and loud to drive every day, so I can see that perspective. Another is looks/sound/resale dropping. SO what are your experienced thoughts?
I'm concidering the Marks exhaust, Kerker looks good, but more expensive, and UFO looks ok... I'm planning on Marks. On all options I would be going from 4-1 exhaust as I'm to understand that is the best route for hp gain and also for weight.
SO, personal experience??? Talk me out of it???
What is talking me into it is the promise of making my wonderfully fast v-max even faster. That's pretty much it.

Here's my shot. It will convince you to do more. Better brakes & handling as now you're going faster , you want to stop quicker and turn better , so more $ for the monkey.

i see a lot of folks go back to stock setup....:ummm: to each his own i reakon.
lot of money for not much gain if you ask me.

i put a dynojet stage 3 kit in my 82 750 seca and it took quite a bit of tweaking to get it to run decent. gotta be willing to deal with that also:biglaugh:
its not everyones cup o tea. its easy to get frustrated .....especially if its something yuve never done b4.

It all depends up to you, how you ride and what your looking to get out of it. I just went with a 1500 CC, cams, stage 7 and full exhaust, ad brake mods, each there own,

now that i've posted that weak attempt, i suggest you go with sean's muscle kit instead of the stage 7. as far as the exhaust, i don't think you can go wrong with any of the options on your short list--pick out the one that makes your monkey go goooooo.

i am 240lbs and the biggest difference i noticed with my marks 4-2 and morley muscle kit was stock, i would basically hit a wall at 210 kph, now if i keep into it i can get 235-240 kph. youll notice the power in the higher gears for sure! in the low gears its pretty easy to light em up...

ummm no, i cant talk you out of it. and if you are lighter in weight than i am, you are in for a pleasent suprise... itll really haul ass.

i guess if i had to say there was a bad thing... maybe, youll put more rear tires on???

peace,
evan...

With Morley's carb kit, a Kerker 4-2-1 w/dual hyperlow I'm getting over 40mpg on the distance cruisin and over 37 around town, for mileage. And the power is there.
As for performance, a picture is worth a thousand words. It does a rolling burnout quite nicely.

rollinr.jpg

And for the ear candy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_LNS289Y1M

Besides, you will keep this guy happy.

2005vmaxmodmonkey.jpg

So don't go with a pipe and a jet kit. You wont enjoy the new found performance :)
not to mention the head turning, woman scaring, Harley intimidating roar of the pipes.

Last edited:
Tim, I ride like a hoodlum, my 600cc Honda CBR wasn't fast enough, I love how fast this is, BUT, it could be faster. I get irate whenever I see someone riding their vmax like a 150cc scooter. I'm looking for the best ways to make this faster, I can only in good concience use the muffler repair money on a new exhaust, so if I have the exhaust money, does that make it then worth it to get the stage 7 (with instalation as well)?

Well, if you get the exhaust with someone elses money, then getting Seans jet kit will be the best value for money horsepower mod you could do. I would say it's like someone giving you a set of rims to suit radial tyres. It would be worth buying new tyres then wouldn't it? :biglaugh:

They aren't too hard to fit yourself, and the understanding you get from doing the job will stay with you forever.

Call around and see what shops will charge you to install stage 7 or Morleys kit. If you can turn some common wrenches and have some patience, you would probably be able to install and tune it yourself. Or you could always just adjust the mixture screws and shim the needles without needing to dive into the carbs too deep. As far as exhausts go, Marks 4-2 with 2" or 2&1/4" outlets gives a nice rumble without pissing the neighbors off. Give Mark a call and tell him what your needs are, and he will point you in the right direction, he's a great guy!

when i was getting a jet kit i ask a local guy at a bike shop about the stage 7 he told me you loose midrange torque. I have seans jet kit and a kerker i am more than happy with the way the bike runs

You can't go wrong with our kit and a Kerker! We sell both! But our kit and about any header will also work great!

now that i've posted that weak attempt, i suggest you go with sean's muscle kit instead of the stage 7. as far as the exhaust, i don't think you can go wrong with any of the options on your short list--pick out the one that makes your monkey go goooooo.

+2 on Seans Muscle jet Kit...All the benefits of the Stage 7 and better mid range power and street ridability.

seriously consider doing this yourself. it's soooo easy. if you can change the oil, you can fit in an exhaust. if you change out brake pads, you can fit in an intake mod. after doing it yourself, you'll wonder why you ever paid $90/hour for a general mechanic to do it. fair to say that the MOST difficult part is keeping your patience, but with the setups posted in carb/tuning section and the infinite wealth and brotherhood that you find in this forum, you will regretting the increase in performance in no time--a couple weekends at most for a noob.

but seriously, you asked the forum to talk you out of these upgrades? ha! somehow something is telling me that deep down inside you knew how we'd react and were counting on it. am i right, or am i right?

crazymonkey.gif

Don't do it!! Once you let the monkey out of the cage, it is all over baby!

crazymonkey.gif

...but if you must, I'd also go for the Morley Muscle Kit + Kerker!!

Back