Cannot get flywheel off 85 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V85wick

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I cannot get the flywheel off the shaft. I am afraid I am doing something wrong or forgot to remove a bolt or something. I have watched all similar flywheel removal videos and even as I have been told the right tool but this flywheel will not budge. Any ideas about what may be going on or I have forgotten? Replies appreciated!

Attachments

• 16831665630263722227517478294247.jpg
    16831665630263722227517478294247.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
There are threads on here about using a puller effectively. High-grade bolts, all greased, tightening the center bolt, and giving it a good whack w/a heavy hammer, then re-tightening it, another whack, and so-on until it comes off. The three peripheral bolts need to be replaced as they inevitably stretch.

Heat is your friend but I have always used the Morley video. Use a beefy puller, zip tie your parts. Use a good impact on center bolt as tight as you can and simply whack the center bolt like a man !
Works every time !

As Sean says, it's all about the bolts or in the modified puller below, lack of them.
You need to make the puller as stiff as possible to eliminate any stretch in it as you tighten the centre bolt.

Attachments

• Modified flywheel puller.pdf
    232.4 KB · Views: 3
Heat is your friend but I have always used the Morley video. Use a beefy puller, zip tie your parts. Use a good impact on center bolt as tight as you can and simply whack the center bolt like a man !
Works every time !
Ya man.... lol that's about all I can muster. Been at it for 3 days, will not budge and using a sledge. Something is definitely wrong here. Not sure what but scared about snapping the shaft at this point. I guess I will try the heat and see what happens. Not a friendly part to remove. Haha.

I have rebuilt two Vmax engines. With the first one the flywheel came off after a brief struggle, with the second one I did not bother and simply left it in place because I was splitting the crankcases anyway. Just mentioning this in case you plan to strip the whole engine - no need to remove the flywheel at all if that is what you are doing.

Ouch! Well ya I am repainting the entire engine so want all removed. Definitely don't want to break anything though. I am just wondering why it's so hard. I guess it has never been removed since it was installed. Only thing I haven't tried is heat yet which kinda scares me a bit because I don't want to heat it too much. We will see what I ecide but thank you. Very good to know.

So still at it, bent my center bolt, going to a nut and bolt center here to get correct size and strength on Friday. Heating it too. Will update.
Only gave mine 5 minutes with blowtorch after tightening up puller bolts 'kin tight. Went to tighten up a bit more and it popped the flywheel as soon as the socket went on.

Back