Can't Find It

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmak

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the site and needed to see if anyone can help with this issue.

I've pulled my carbs and completely broken them down and cleaned them twice, done the shotgun twice and I've checked all the nuts/bolts to make sure everything was nice and snug before putting them back on the bike. But for some reason I'm getting gas leaking around the bottom of the two carbs on the right hand side (bike is on centerstand). I haven't started the bike in 1 day, and it's still leaking so I would think that it wouldn't be leaking from the boot, but somewhere from the carb. Also, it's only wet at the bottom of the carb, the entire middle and top portion of the carbs are clean and dry. I wrapped a shop towel around the bottom of the carbs last night, to see if I can tell where it's leaking from, and this morning I checked and the shop towel on the right rear carb had gas spots near the back of the carb near the float bowl, and and a little towards the front as well. The front right carb didn't have much at all so it was hard to tell what side it may have come from. Other than the fact that I can't tell where the leak is coming from, it just seems weird that it would only be happening on the right side? I would appreciate anyone's assistnace. Thanks.

Remove that float bowl and check the gasket. It may need to be replaced. The leak could also be coming from the hex nut on the float bowl cover. There's an o-ring that goes on that.

If the hoses aren't connected to the bowl drains well, it might also be one of the drain screws loose.

Thanks for the tips. The drain screws are tights, and the hoses are well seated. I'm going to pull them again and check the gaskets. Other than the leaking, how can you tell if the gasket is bad?

If you stretch 'em a tad you'll see the cracks. Check them and then button it up. Fill that bowl with gas and watch for the leaks. It should be easier to find with the carbs off the bike.

Ok, pulled the carbs and took the float bowl covers off. I can see all around the bowl cover were gas was seeping through, didn't even look like it was sealed very well at all. The gasket looked fine, no cracks etc. Still though, I replaced all four bowl gaskets while I had them apart, just for good measure. While I had the carbs off, I also noticed that two of my floats were off position, and corrected that. Now, I've got them back together and put some gas in the bowl to see if we've got leakage. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion.

Ok, well it looks like replacing the gaskets on the float bowls did the trick!! Woo hoo! But, now that the big leak problem has been taken care of, it looks like gas is seaping out around the float bowl drain screws as well. Looks like the O'ring on the screws are shot. But it's only happening on the same side as the previous float bowl leak. Weird. Hi-ho, Hi-ho it's off to the parts shop I go!!

Back