Can't Find the Right Category to Save This

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie2ee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate to admit this.................but learning is learning and I may be the only one to have ever made this majestic mistake. I've been working on resolving my short circuit problem on my 93 VMax. Getting nowhere fast and finally removed everything and disconnected everything and could not find the short. Even started unwinding the wiring harness looking for damage............to no avail. And then today I had a brain spasm and remembered how hard it was to hook up the negative terminal on the battery after I had removed it for some reason prior to all of this happening. After performing the forward and reverse bias test on the rectifier/regulator, it dawned on me that one way to get a direct short across the battery is to install the battery backwards and I believe that will forward bias the rectifier diodes and will definitely blow a 30A fuse. So long story short, with the battery installed correctly everything is working just fine. Now where do we save this to compete with any comparable blunders. And I do feel that I have a considerable lead in the competition. I'm blaming mine on being 73 and moving toward senility. Special thanks to Sean who keep me centered and on the right trail. So if you need any special expert electrical advice, please feel free to contact me. This would have been so much more appropriate if it had happened on April 1st.

sometimes making mistakes is part of the learning process, glad you realised and got it how it should be, now you can enjoy wrapping up your loom again

Glad it's sorted. Not far-behind you, in age. The Fog of Senility hadn't grabbed me by the shoulders and shaken me yet, for which I'm grateful. I have a lifelong friend whose cognitive abilities have started deteriorating, he's a bright guy, a psychologist whose father faced similar problems by the end of his 50's. My buddy is quite a bit older than that, but it's sad to speak with him and to recognize the issue.

Does your + lead have the red rubber/vinyl square boot still in-place?

Are you going to finish the wiring diagram project?

Last edited:
Holy moly, that's one shocking (pardon the electrically themed pun) mistake to make.

The positive battery lead is red and covered by a red sleeve, negative lead is black, ain't no misting which is which.

Ofcourse there is no way an posts could have helped without actually seeing it.

Blame the motorcycle battery manufacturers for identical terminals, at least on car batteries the circular positive post is larger than the negative one.

I take it the blown fuse protected the other electronics, namely vboost and ignition unit from damage?

Glad it's sorted. Not far-behind you, in age. The Fog of Senility hadn't grabbed me by the shoulders and shaken me yet, for which I'm grateful. I have a lifelong friend whose cognitive abilities have started deteriorating, he's a bright guy, a psychologist whose father faced similar problems by the end of his 50's. My buddy is quite a bit older than that, but it's sad to speak with him and to recognize the issue.

Does your + lead have the red rubber/vinyl square boot still in-place?

Are you going to finish the wiring diagram project?
Yes the rubber boots are still in place and the wires are colored correctly.............the issue is that both positive and negative terminals are identical and the marking for + and - are just imprinted in the case and not highly visible. I have now painted the plus end of the battery with red paint.

Yes I am almost finished with the ignition part of the wiring diagram and will be posting it when I have checked the drawing over again for the umpteenth time.............unfortunately I can not check one's own work for mistakes..............they become invisible to the naked eye. I'm currently working on sheet 2 which is primary the lights.

Last edited:
Holy moly, that's one shocking (pardon the electrically themed pun) mistake to make.

The positive battery lead is red and covered by a red sleeve, negative lead is black, ain't no misting which is which.

Ofcourse there is no way an posts could have helped without actually seeing it.

Blame the motorcycle battery manufacturers for identical terminals, at least on car batteries the circular positive post is larger than the negative one.

I take it the blown fuse protected the other electronics, namely vboost and ignition unit from damage?
Everything appears to be working fine............I have only fired it up in the garage and let it run for a few minutes.

sometimes making mistakes is part of the learning process, glad you realised and got it how it should be, now you can enjoy wrapping up your loom again
I would definitely say that I have a better understanding of the bike's wiring system than I did before............thankfully I stopped with the unwrapping process in the areas where the loom was easily accessable..............somethings went my way

Since it's partially-unwrapped, did you solder the crimp sleeve? That helps the battery output to go to the bike functions.

VMax electrical crimp.02.jpeg.jpgVMax electrical crimp.01.jpeg.jpg

Latest posts

Back