Can't get Air box mounte

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredtman

Reaction score
I have a '94 VMax. I haven't had it on the road for about 6 years for various reasons. This past winter I took the carbs off to clean them out after sitting for so long. I'm finally getting everything back together, but now I cannot get the air box back on. It's like the tubes that go over the top of the carb throats are too small. Plus, with the air box off I can tighten down the clamps on the tubes and they will not even snug up. Could those tubes have dried up and shrunk so much that they won't fit now? What do all you experts think is going on with my air box?

You probably need to replace the connection boots. They should be soft and supple but usually get hard and shrink. I keep them on hand but I won't be the cheapest to get them from when comparing to the online parts houses.

First make sure you are getting that larger crank case hose on the back of the airbox-you can remove your radiator tank reservoir to make it easier and see better. Also put those rubber boots in the microwave for 10 sec to soften up. If they are cracked they are no good anymore.

Try putting some silicone grease on the rubbers, prior to installation. Worked well for me.
Although I've never tried it, heating the rubbers up with a hair dryer might help as well.
In the morning, the carb gurus will kick in, and you undoubtedly will get lots of suggestions.
Cheers!

Boil them in water for a bit to get them pliable. Then use a water-soluble gel like KY to help them slide on.

And my best tip: put the bike on the centerstand, and sit on the complete airbox, after straddling the airbox while standing on the footpegs. You will hear the box 'seat' on the carbs, and you will feel it too.

From boiling them, to using the KY, to sitting on the assembled complete airbox should be done ASAP, 1-2-3.

You can soften rubber parts and enlarge it with soaking them in Withespirit, or similar (do not use acetone), you have to watch regularely because they can goes too large...

I had this exact issue. My mate sorted it by cutting 35mm off of the bottom of the rubber tubes. I then bought some silicone tube and cut 4 x 35mm lengths. the holes in the bottom of the airbox need making slightly bigger but then slide the silicone lengths up from the bottom and then the rubber tubes in the top. worked perfectly.

I was at my wits end ,than there it was a 2 inch steel drum clylinder sander for woodwork , one rubber boot shank to 1- 7/8 , I was going to buy a new one anyway, so I started reeming out , and it worked

Attachments

• IMG_20190916_190735.jpg
    IMG_20190916_190735.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 14
Back