Can't get my parts and money back

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEPHENSON

Reaction score
Hello

My name is Stephen I’m new here and to vmaxs too.I live in Chicago area. I've bought 85 vmax from my friend. Engine was locked up. Point was to restore the bike and leave it forever. i've took it apart, painted frame, cleaned all parts. Also I've took engine apart too. I want to make it 1500cc for more power. I understood that I don't have enough time due to my truck driving job decide to give it to the local shop. I’ve brought (feb 2018) cases and some good internal parts plus donor engine without transmission. Paid them $550 for trany undercutting plus $3800 for the parts to make it 1500cc (machine shop labor included). Than this started. First he told he’ll finish it on april. Than May , than july, than september he was blaming machine shop but on september he told he got it back. September , october , november , december , he was telling he’ll start it on next week. Now he is moving to bigger location and telling he needs to get everything from old location to new and than he can start.

I guess it's going to be one more year or forever. He is not showing parts what I paid for ($3800+$550). And don't want to return my money. He told if you want you can take what you brought..

I’m planning to go to The Small claims court. Any other suggestions!!!

Any advice will help.

Thank you

Sounds like you got hosed on this deal. If you identify the person you dealt with you'd be doing a service to us all - to know to stay away from this person.
The "Gurus" who are members of this group are all completely honest and reputable. I'd take the bastard to court....

It’s definitely a big chunk of money to be in a loss with. Hopefully you kept your receipts. Don’t know how small claims court will pan out but why not try.

Small claims is probably the way to go, your losses should fit within the limits. If you can get a judgement then there are folks that can go on over there and start recovering your losses. I think filing a small claim is probably $10-20. Definitely get your paperwork and all documentation you can muster before going in.

At least with small claims you only have to prove your case by a preponderance of evidence, no reasonable doubt stuff. All a judge has to do is believe you over him. Ideally this is a question for your lawyer, but I'm not sure what other legal recourse you have.

Good luck, I really hate to hear about folks getting fucked like this. I hope you recover everything you lost plus some satisfaction.

I'd get everything that is yours out of that shop, and pronto. This isn't going to get better. And after being lied to, once is enough for me, legal action is totally justified. Like many of us are wondering, WHAT SHOP is it that would do something like this? A good service can be done by you helping the rest of us avoid the same treatment.

Thanks for advising and supporting.

I went to this shop because it's local. It has good show room with different custom bikes plus many bikes in a back servicing. I guess most reviews on Google map are from friends and close people. The owners name is Matt. He is drag racing nitrous and turbo sports. I thought it could not happen in official and good looking shop like this. Probably I shouldn't do any payments in advance. Will be lessons for me.
I keep you updated with my next steps.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Since this is now public knowledge, you need to retrieve your bike and parts, immediately. Don't take, "come-back tomorrow, and I'll have it for you." Arrive with a means to transport your bike off the location, and as-well as you are able-to, account for all your disassembled parts. Request a written statement of account for all service work and machine work, and any parts that were ordered and delivered.

I wouldn't divulge this information if I were you. I'm not a lawyer and I don't live in IL. You need to win a small claims judgement BEFORE you "take off the gloves."

Even if you get a judgement, you are on your own to collect. USA does not have debtor's prison. When I won a judgement in GA, the defendant and I were allowed to leave the courtroom during the hearing to work out a settlement. He paid everything I asked.

The leverage I had was that he had just purchased to company and wanted to protect his reputation. I returned the poorly manufactured product to his facility, he wrote me a check on the spot and I immediately cashed it. End of saga.

By divulging his name this way, you are giving up the ONLY leverage you have! AND! He still has your goods!

My PERSONAL (i.e. NOT LEGAL) advise is to immediately amend your post and remove his name because, right now, it's only YOUR word against HIS!

I would seek legal advice before you go over there to stomp the guy.
If you do ending up having to sue the guy, win, and get nothing he's
still going to have that judgement on his credit record, small consolation.

http://www.collectyourjudgment.org/states/Illinois/

Some food for thought.

In some states (dunno which) there are folks who specialize on judgement recovery. It's a bit dangerous. Just imagine a bounty hunter that is after your shit instead of you. I still think you need to bring your lawyer into it, even if he only tells you how you must proceed. I don't even pinch a loaf without talking with my lawyer first.

We traditionally share info on this forum with each other. The Good & the bad. Someone gets had, they keep the rest of us from suffering the same. A thumbs up to you for letting us know who the weasel is. Thanks.

I’d take the local and or state sherriff with you when retrieving your property! Good luck, hope everything works out for you!!

Hello

My name is Stephen I’m new here and to vmaxs too.I live in Chicago area. I've bought 85 vmax from my friend. Engine was locked up. Point was to restore the bike and leave it forever. i've took it apart, painted frame, cleaned all parts. Also I've took engine apart too. I want to make it 1500cc for more power. I understood that I don't have enough time due to my truck driving job decide to give it to the local shop. I’ve brought (feb 2018) cases and some good internal parts plus donor engine without transmission. Paid them $550 for trany undercutting plus $3800 for the parts to make it 1500cc (machine shop labor included). Than this started. First he told he’ll finish it on april. Than May , than july, than september he was blaming machine shop but on september he told he got it back. September , october , november , december , he was telling he’ll start it on next week. Now he is moving to bigger location and telling he needs to get everything from old location to new and than he can start.

I guess it's going to be one more year or forever. He is not showing parts what I paid for ($3800+$550). And don't want to return my money. He told if you want you can take what you brought..

I’m planning to go to The Small claims court. Any other suggestions!!!

Any advice will help.

Thank you

Stephen, this guy is a RAT, my suggestion get an attorney and forget about small claims. Also give him NO REASON to counter sue, like naming him on this site.

A word of wisdom, if you want a VMAX buy a newer used one in running condition or a new one off the floor, it would have been far cheaper from what you are facing now, especially with your stress and emotions dragging you down. Stephen, the only people that can afford to do what your were trying to do with this project are the very wealthy, not working stiffs like us. When I bought my 05 Max new I left it stock except for the UFO seat I put on it, it ran beautiful with all the power I ever dreamed of, and it holds it's value because it is STOCK. IMHO the VMAX is the greatest cycle ever made, 1st and 2nd Gen, buy it, ride it, maintain it, and leave it STOCK.

I think there's a certain amount of truth to what he's saying: "ouchez".

Leaving the bike stock internally is certainly going to be much-cheaper than making a 1500 cc Tourmaster-type engine. There are enough bikes for sale with a lot of non-engine mods done, several on here lately for-sale, and priced very reasonably. Left stock, with the possible exception of an ignition box which provides you with a rev-limiter will ensure your bike has longevity, provided you do regular oil changes with the correct oil, not the 'high-mileage' formulation automobile oils of today, and that you allow the engine to attain proper oil/operating temperature before hammering it.

Keeping the bike stock-internally, mechanically should allow you plenty of fun. Of course, going the big-bore route can be fun, but it's 'pay-to-play.' Buying a built engine from Morley's Muscle or from PCW in Schenectady NY instead of this unscrupulous shop would have been a less-painful experience.

I had to talk with my lawyer this morning about something unrelated, I posed the high points of this to him as a hypothetical. He said the first thing a lawyer may do based on what I said was do up a firm legal letter requesting full refund based on non delivery of parts/services promised. Letter also explaining if he refuses the matter will go to court where the client (you) will be seeking a full refund, plus fees, damages, legal expenses and reasonable interest. Certified mail, 15-30 days to respond depending on state.The lawyer may add his fees in the initial refund request which for a letter shouldn't be much. He also said you shouldn't be asked to pay a retainer for a minor thing like this, especially since it would be in small claims. When a lawyer must make appearances or deal with complicated matters is generally when they start asking for retainers. This should be neither.

Since he's willing to let you pick up your property, do that first so that he doesn't get scorned and fuck with any of it. Once it's just a matter of money the going forward simplified (cheaper).

Then file the legal case with small claims if hes still too greasy to do the right, anything under $10k would be small claims. Apparently depending on details, you may be entitled to damages if he tied up your money for an extended period of time without delivering as he promised. You typically would not bring a lawyer to small claims, but you should definitely go forward under the guidance of a lawyer. Using a lawyer is quite a bit cheaper and easier than many folks think if you have a decent one.

Sorry this is long, and it's based only on lawyer input with very limited knowledge of this situation. I really hope this goes in your favor and I'm really interested in the outcome.

I had to talk with my lawyer this morning about something unrelated, I posed the high points of this to him as a hypothetical. He said the first thing a lawyer may do based on what I said was do up a firm legal letter requesting full refund based on non delivery of parts/services promised. Letter also explaining if he refuses the matter will go to court where the client (you) will be seeking a full refund, plus fees, damages, legal expenses and reasonable interest. Certified mail, 15-30 days to respond depending on state.The lawyer may add his fees in the initial refund request which for a letter shouldn't be much. He also said you shouldn't be asked to pay a retainer for a minor thing like this, especially since it would be in small claims. When a lawyer must make appearances or deal with complicated matters is generally when they start asking for retainers. This should be neither.

Since he's willing to let you pick up your property, do that first so that he doesn't get scorned and fuck with any of it. Once it's just a matter of money the going forward simplified (cheaper).

Then file the legal case with small claims if hes still too greasy to do the right, anything under $10k would be small claims. Apparently depending on details, you may be entitled to damages if he tied up your money for an extended period of time without delivering as he promised. You typically would not bring a lawyer to small claims, but you should definitely go forward under the guidance of a lawyer. Using a lawyer is quite a bit cheaper and easier than many folks think if you have a decent one.

Sorry this is long, and it's based only on lawyer input with very limited knowledge of this situation. I really hope this goes in your favor and I'm really interested in the outcome.

I am not an attorney.

I believe we're all hoping that the O.P. will follow-up on the free "legal advice" here. We want him to be able to extract himself from this mess, with as-much recovery as-possible.

To my way of thinking, his #1 move should be to recover his hard parts. If the entire bike is there, with the engine in pieces, go-there, and get it back, now! Everything you left him, everything you paid-for and don't now have in your personal possession. If he hasn't ordered the parts yet, then you are due the refund of the money you fronted-him for their purchase.

I suspect that this unethical tradesman/shop owner hasn't done a lick of work on the bike, hasn't had any machine-work performed, he's just been sitting on the pile of disassembled parts, while he's done whatever-else he's been accomplishing in the shop, while you sit and wait.

If he says, "I had the cases machined," or whatever-else work was supposed to have been completed, demand the receipts for the work, and whatever he hands-you, contact the services provider (that would be the machine shop) and cross-reference their receipts with the receipt this guy gave you. I suspect there is a possibility of discrepancies, based upon the yelp reviews and what the O.P. has experienced to this point. I doubt anything has been done, because if it had, then wouldn't he be assembling the engine, to put it back in the frame, and to get the bike delivered? The months and months of no progress suggest nothing has been accomplished. That money for the services previously-agreed-upon for the scope of work should then be due to the owner of the bike, based upon the shop's abandonment of contracted work. Heaven help him if he gave this business any cash with no receipt due! In that situation, I am afraid he's without recovery. "If you pay me cash, I'll give you 10% off the cost of the job" is a dishonest way to cheat the government, and to cheat the customer, should the O.P.'s situation arise.

In the link I provided concerning IL small claims court, the limit is $3,000. "...file the legal case with small claims if hes still too greasy to do the right, anything under $10k would be small claims" from my research is incorrect.

An attorney drafting a "demand letter" is going to be expecting compensation for his/her time, that's a negotiable issue between the O.P. and the attorney. I would expect one hour of the attorney's rate, depending on the state and the population, (demand for services) I suspect that could be $250, possibly more. You have to ask to discover what would be charged.

You should act immediately to secure your hard property, and the attorney's demand letter will serve-notice on your intent for the funds previously-paid. I would show-up with your truck/trailer, however you need to transport your parts away from the shop, and hold the attorney's communication in your back pocket. Don't even hint you have it. Just say, "due-to a lack of work on your part, I'm recovering my bike and my parts which have been removed from my bike." A really 'ballsy' shop owner would demand more money, "because of all the work I've already done." Request an itemized bill of what "all that work" is, receipts from the machine shop as previously-mentioned, and any parts ordered and delivered to the business. Get your bike and your parts, and then hand him the attorney's "demand letter."

Do not engage in any type of shouting match, or a physical altercation. That will not work-out well for you, even if he's the instigating party. Bring at-least one person with you as a witness on your behalf.

You could try speaking to the local P.D. Ask to speak to a detective working fraud, bring whatever receipts you have and a timeline, something the detective can refer-to. See what they say. If they respond, "it's a civil matter," well, at-least you tried. Take their business card, inform them the attorney will be interested to know with-whom you spoke at the P.D. but only if you have actually already had contact with an attorney about this.

Good luck.

I am not an attorney.

I believe we're all hoping that the O.P. will follow-up on the free "legal advice" here. We want him to be able to extract himself from this mess, with as-much recovery as-possible.

To my way of thinking, his #1 move should be to recover his hard parts. If the entire bike is there, with the engine in pieces, go-there, and get it back, now! Everything you left him, everything you paid-for and don't now have in your personal possession. If he hasn't ordered the parts yet, then you are due the refund of the money you fronted-him for their purchase.

I suspect that this unethical tradesman/shop owner hasn't done a lick of work on the bike, hasn't had any machine-work performed, he's just been sitting on the pile of disassembled parts, while he's done whatever-else he's been accomplishing in the shop, while you sit and wait.

If he says, "I had the cases machined," or whatever-else work was supposed to have been completed, demand the receipts for the work, and whatever he hands-you, contact the services provider (that would be the machine shop) and cross-reference their receipts with the receipt this guy gave you. I suspect there is a possibility of discrepancies, based upon the yelp reviews and what the O.P. has experienced to this point. I doubt anything has been done, because if it had, then wouldn't he be assembling the engine, to put it back in the frame, and to get the bike delivered? The months and months of no progress suggest nothing has been accomplished. That money for the services previously-agreed-upon for the scope of work should then be due to the owner of the bike, based upon the shop's abandonment of contracted work. Heaven help him if he gave this business any cash with no receipt due! In that situation, I am afraid he's without recovery. "If you pay me cash, I'll give you 10% off the cost of the job" is a dishonest way to cheat the government, and to cheat the customer, should the O.P.'s situation arise.

In the link I provided concerning IL small claims court, the limit is $3,000. "...file the legal case with small claims if hes still too greasy to do the right, anything under $10k would be small claims" from my research is incorrect.

An attorney drafting a "demand letter" is going to be expecting compensation for his/her time, that's a negotiable issue between the O.P. and the attorney. I would expect one hour of the attorney's rate, depending on the state and the population, (demand for services) I suspect that could be $250, possibly more. You have to ask to discover what would be charged.

You should act immediately to secure your hard property, and the attorney's demand letter will serve-notice on your intent for the funds previously-paid. I would show-up with your truck/trailer, however you need to transport your parts away from the shop, and hold the attorney's communication in your back pocket. Don't even hint you have it. Just say, "due-to a lack of work on your part, I'm recovering my bike and my parts which have been removed from my bike." A really 'ballsy' shop owner would demand more money, "because of all the work I've already done." Request an itemized bill of what "all that work" is, receipts from the machine shop as previously-mentioned, and any parts ordered and delivered to the business. Get your bike and your parts, and then hand him the attorney's "demand letter."

Do not engage in any type of shouting match, or a physical altercation. That will not work-out well for you, even if he's the instigating party. Bring at-least one person with you as a witness on your behalf.

You could try speaking to the local P.D. Ask to speak to a detective working fraud, bring whatever receipts you have and a timeline, something the detective can refer-to. See what they say. If they respond, "it's a civil matter," well, at-least you tried. Take their business card, inform them the attorney will be interested to know with-whom you spoke at the P.D. but only if you have actually already had contact with an attorney about this.

Good luck.

Good point about not getting heated, I'm not sure if having a witness to help you load up the stuff would be such a bad idea, just in case the the show owner steps out of line.

I found this indicating that IL is at $10k limit. If this is true then it makes recovery of his loss amount a whole lot cheaper and easier. Your info might be more current than what I found but a quick call to the clerk of courts should be a quick verification of current limits. Last time I used small claims it was a $3k limit, and now $12k here. Inflation I suppose.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/small-claims-suits-how-much-30031.html

Back