Cant get out of neutral - Stuck clutch?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPresident

Reaction score
I just inherited a 2001 Vmax with 40k miles thats been sitting in a garage for six or so years. Pulled the carbs, flushed the lines, sealed the gas tank ect and now that i have everything back on I started her up to find that I cant get it in gear. I can start in neutral, pull the clutch and click the shifter but nothing happens. It feels like it can shift into 1st and 2nd and possibly 3rd but the nothing actually engages. If the bike is off i can "click" it down into what should be first but still roll it around the garage like its in neutral.

In flushing the clutch, it took about 45 minutes with a vacuum pump before I sucked out some terrible looking DOT4, but i ran almost an entire bottle through the line before sealing it all back up. The action on the clutch lever feels perfectly normal (my last bike was hydraulic too).

Where should I start?

Also my starter clutch is going out, but I know how to take care of that.

Thanks a bunch guys

I'm wondering if the clutch discs are stuck together....or if the slave cylinder isn't working and pushing the clutch out.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if the clutch discs are stuck together....or if the slave cylinder isn't working and pushing the clutch out.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Eric he's saying that he puts it in gear & nothing happens. If the discs were stuck together or the slave cyl. wasn't working it would grind or jam into gear & stall the eng. I wonder if it was working when the bike was parked maybe that's why it was parked ? :ummm:

Dave

I say I "think" it goes in to gear as in the shift lever acts fairly normal. I get the usual click down into first and solid click through to second. neutral light confirms this

Maybe an issue with the middle or final gears?.................Possibly a broken driveshaft?........................Tom.

Could the shift forks be messed up enough to let the drum rotate without doing anything? That would be a lot of smashing, I think.

Also, can you put it on the center stand and spin the rear wheel while shifting? That might tell a bit.

Pull the clutch cover. Nothing to loose. You might find someone borrowed the diaphragm spring from it. You'll also be able to verify the segment is ok.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back