Can't shift above 2nd with new segment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexec

Reaction score
Heading says it all. I have no clue why this is happening. I had just replaced the segment and sheared the index pin which caused the gears to be out of alignment. I replaced the pin and took the bike for a short spin and checked all gears (all good). The next day I lost everything above 2nd. It's like the old segment is back in and a pin dropped out. But that would be impossible. Looking for advice before I drain the oil and pull the cover off again and kill another gasket. I'm going to have to stock up on clutch cover gaskets....:(

You don't need to drain the oil. Just put it on the sidestand. Might have not seated the shifter linkage fully?? Won't know until you look. Some guys put vaseline on one side of the gaskets that way they only stick to the cover (or block) but not both surfaces. Lets you take them off and on more then one time.

Sean

Yeah, I sort of knew I had to crack it open again. Glad I don't have to drain oil and I will take your expert advice and put vaseline on one side (block side so its out of my way with the cover off). I don't have a gasket right now and the dealer is out of stock so I'll use some three bond liquid gasket.

Usually the gasket will come off but maybe break in a couple of spots. You can use the sealer in those couple of areas. Worst case I have them on hand but not very economical by the time you count shipping.

Thanks a bunch Sean, dealer can have them within a couple days, sealer will due for now.

Ok, the shifter is not returning all the way to the center reset position which prevents the next gear from being selected. I must have put the spring back on incorrectly. Hmmmmm, I didn't think it could go back any other way. We'll see on Friday when I get the gasket.

Back