Car guys & Unlimited Fiberglass

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKyle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For any of you thinking about ordering from Unlimited fiberglass buyer beware ! I was happy with the bumper I got but not so much the hood. My hood was supposed to be bolt on in the front and pin in the rear .
It came with the bolts in it but when I took them out to bolt it on to my truck the nuts just fell inside the layers of the hood. I am guessing they forgot to glass or epoxy them or whatever they do . I now have all the nuts floating in between the 2 layers of the hood and no way to bolt it on !
I have talked to 2 different ladies who can not understand what I am talking about and keep assuring me the owner will call me. This has been going on for 2 weeks now and every time I call it is a different story.
I can fix the hood by drilling a hole in the bottom and fishing the nuts out and putting a plate on the inside with thread zerts in but that is not the point ! At this point that probably what I will end up doing since they apparently only like to sell stuff with no customer service. I am over the run around trying to deal with them. I will be fixing it myself !!!! https://www.facebook.com/Unlimited-fiberglass...

Social media pressure should get you some results. They should send you a new hood and tell you to keep the other one.

So much for quality control!!!

I can fix the hood by drilling a hole in the bottom and fishing the nuts out and putting a plate on the inside with thread zerts in but that is not the point !

Can you not use a magnet tied on a piece of string to fish them out or a strong magnet that can grab the nuts through the fibreglass and drag them to the hole?

Ultimately you will need to put in a plate with a nut as sticking just the nut is unlikely to be strong enough and the plate will spread the load to avoid stressing the fibre glass.

Social media pressure should get you some results. They should send you a new hood and tell you to keep the other one.
After 2 weeks of the run around I don't see anything happening that is why I started blasting them on Social media. I am getting lots of feedback from other people & it seems this is the normal for them. I am not sure how they are still in business !

So much for quality control!!!

Can you not use a magnet tied on a piece of string to fish them out or a strong magnet that can grab the nuts through the fibreglass and drag them to the hole?

Ultimately you will need to put in a plate with a nut as sticking just the nut is unlikely to be strong enough and the plate will spread the load to avoid stressing the fibre glass.
I have to make a hole to get out whatever kind of nuts they used out of the hood since there is not a hole big enough for them to come out. You can tell the hood was formed in 2 pieces and them molded together. I think they just forgot to mold the nuts in before they molded the 2 pieces together. I think I am just going to make a hole beside the mounting points & get the old nuts out & then slide a plate in between with either nuts welded to it or rivet the plate in & put my rivnuts thru into the plate. I know I can fix it ! It is just the point of it now. I will do anything I can to steer people away from them now specially after all the feedback I have received on the hot rod forums

Balsa wood was sometimes used to occupy space to allow the formation of a box-section of laminations, to form a beam when laying-up fiberglass. My friend who is a composites fabrication expert and designer, who is retired from GM's Warren MI Design and Tech Center, once told me that another item used to provide a 'tubular-style' cross-section when laying fiberglass was weatherstripping: it's light, flexible, and bulky, so when the fiberglass set-up, you had a tube to reinforce the edge, or wherever you needed to reinforce the middle of a flat panel, for-instance.

In this instance, if Kyle wants to keep the piece, I'd suggest cutting-open the panel from the engine compartment side and using a piece of gumwood/plywood (lots of plies) to set the nuts into, and then re-glass the plywood into-place.

Balsa wood was sometimes used to occupy space to allow the formation of a box-section of laminations, to form a beam when laying-up fiberglass. My friend who is a composites fabrication expert and designer, who is retired from GM's Warren MI Design and Tech Center, once told me that another item used to provide a 'tubular-style' cross-section when laying fiberglass was weatherstripping: it's light, flexible, and bulky, so when the fiberglass set-up, you had a tube to reinforce the edge, or wherever you needed to reinforce the middle of a flat panel, for-instance.

In this instance, if Kyle wants to keep the piece, I'd suggest cutting-open the panel from the engine compartment side and using a piece of gumwood/plywood (lots of plies) to set the nuts into, and then re-glass the plywood into-place.
I did not really want to keep it. I wanted them to send me a new one or at least reimburse part of my money for having to do the work. It does not look like that is going to happen though so I will be cutting a couple holes on the underside to fix it.

Are these the guys?

http://www.up22.com/
AMX 68-80,Maverick,Pinto,LUV LUV truck hoods

Looks like this? Or, a lower rise?

Chevy LUV pickup hood Unlimited  Fiberglass.jpg

Here's a resource, I'd complete an entry and get the government involved. There definitely is a safety issue, as you cannot properly-affix the defective replacement body panel to your road-licensed vehicle in a safe fashion, comparable to OEM product. Screw them, let them explain their shoddy goods to the consumer protection agency in their home state, and the CA Attorney General. Remember to take 'before' pictures, and save your social media posts, emails, and any other contact you have with them. A copy of your phone bill and a summation of the outcome of the phone contact is helpful to demonstrate your attempt to have them replace the defective product, their refusal to, and this is your documentation. Remember, when was the last time that you called a business, were directed through an index to "press 7 for customer service," but were first-told, "this call is being recorded for quality-control purposes." You also have the right to announce, "this conversation is being recorded for documentation of contact with the corporation." Then, do-it.

https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company
Here's more ammunition. Send a certified letter, return receipt requested, to the business agent demanding replacement of the defective part, and the refusal of the company to do this. Also include that you have filed the State of California Consumer Complaint Against Business or Company document. The Agent for Service of Process listed-below is where to send it.

None of this takes anything but a minimal expenditure, and some time. The hood will be replaced, or some concession will be made. In terms of safety I expect that once you initiate this type of response to receiving a defective product, for the limitation of financial liability the business agent, usually an attorney, will tell the business, "get that defective product returned, and send him one that is properly-built."

I am not an attorney.

C1053979 UNLIMITED SPECIALTY PRODUCTS, INC.

Registration Date:
09/04/1981
Jurisdiction:
CALIFORNIA
Entity Type:
DOMESTIC STOCK
ACTIVE
Agent for Service of Process:
MARK MASTERS
360 E FIRST ST
TUSTIN CA 92780
Entity Address:
360 E FIRST ST
TUSTIN CA 92780
Entity Mailing Address:
360 E FIRST ST
TUSTIN CA 92780

The State Bar of California has a listing for Mark James Masters as-being a graduate of a CA law school located within the state, who passed the State of CA Bar Exam in 2006, but whose license to practice law was put into Inactive status in 2012.
http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Licensee/Detail/244070

Last edited:
Are these the guys?

http://www.up22.com/
AMX 68-80,Maverick,Pinto,LUV LUV truck hoods

Looks like this? Or, a lower rise?

View attachment 73078

Here's a resource, I'd complete an entry and get the government involved. There definitely is a safety issue, as you cannot properly-affix the defective replacement body panel to your road-licensed vehicle in a safe fashion, comparable to OEM product. Screw them, let them explain their shoddy goods to the consumer protection agency in their home state, and the CA Attorney General.

https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company
Yep that is them ! It is this hood

Attachments

• lv-100a l88 hood.jpg
    lv-100a l88 hood.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back