Carb adjustments...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
Reset my floats last night and stepped up my main jet one size but when I did it I put in some non ethenol 93 octane and resynced and the throttle response is so much better... Don't know if I was just a little outta sync or if its just the gas but it made a very noticeable difference, can't wait to race Friday and try it out :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

If you are used to running crap gasohol, then filling up with 100% Dino is like having a tune up all by itself.

If you are used to running crap gasohol, then filling up with 100% Dino is like having a tune up all by itself.

Definitely True.... My Bikes run like crap if I have to fill up on a ride. K-100 or Sentry Additives help though... Ethanol Sucks!!!!!!!!!

Yes, in the 10% blend you're down to 96% of the available btu's of energy. It only gets worse and the blend is increased. One gallon of ethanol only has 60% of the available btu's of energy as a comparable gallon of regular unleaded gasoline. Coming from ethanol to a full tank of premium non-ethanol would be similar to a "tune-up" indeed :)

All I've ever ran in it is the corn mix bullshit, racing this Friday so I drained the tank completely and put one gallon of 93 non ethanol in it along with the carb adjustments and it's very noticeable... Looking to squeeze some potential out of it!!! LOL Last time I ran 11.20 at 119mph and my race weight should be near 40lbs lighter this time, plus I did some airbox mods that helped make some more hp I think and along with the gas and the carbs being right I'm hoping to get it into the 10's in the cold night air... Once I've ran what I can on the engine I have 3 bottles of nitrous with me too :biglaugh:

Yes, in the 10% blend you're down to 96% of the available btu's of energy. It only gets worse and the blend is increased. One gallon of ethanol only has 60% of the available btu's of energy as a comparable gallon of regular unleaded gasoline. Coming from ethanol to a full tank of premium non-ethanol would be similar to a "tune-up" indeed :)

I'm thinking you'd see an even better benefit with regular gas over the premium - unless you are modified and running higher compression where you just need the extra octane to help with pre-detonation. :ummm:

I'm thinking you'd see an even better benefit with regular gas over the premium - unless you are modified and running higher compression where you just need the extra octane to help with pre-detonation. :ummm:

Milled heads and thinner cometic gaskets and nitrous, I need the octane...

Stock compression, these bikes run great on regular unleaded fuel, as it has no more/less btu's of energy than premium. Premium fuel simply has a higher point of detonation for higher compression engines.

Lets not even get into a discussion about all of the summer/winter/environmental additives they love to blend into the various blends that actually raise the flashpoint of the fuel upwards of 100% in some regions :( This crap can effect performance as much as ethanol blends.

Milled heads and thinner cometic gaskets and nitrous, I need the octane...

How much came-off the heads & did you have to relieve the piston crowns to match?

Are you going to the IN strip or to US131-Martin? Bet you could have some western MI visitors like the "Beekeeper" & some of the others, and the guy from Battle Creek w/the Gen II.

How much came-off the heads & did you have to relieve the piston crowns to match?

Are you going to the IN strip or to US131-Martin? Bet you could have some western MI visitors like the "Beekeeper" & some of the others, and the guy from Battle Creek w/the Gen II.

.020" off the heads and very little off of the thinner head gasket like .008 I think... Didn't have to do anything and everything cleared... I'm going to 131 in Martin MI to race... I did find a station a little closer to me that has 90 octane that's ethanol free so I'll try that next time and just spike it with some 100 octane race gas for when I spray...

Back