Carb Cleaner

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45/70 GOVT

Reaction score
A few years back I bought some chemical cleaner from NAPA autoparts and it was some fantastic stuff. I remember paying like $49.99 for a gallon of it with the little parts basket included. I called NAPA today and don't seem to carry the stuff anymore. They do have a gallon of carb cleaner for $19.99, but I'm not certain it's of the same grade as I purchased before. I going to guess that there is a difference in consumer vs. industrial grade cleaners.

Could someone here possibly point me in the right direction for some of the professional grade cleaner?

Regards, Robby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years back I bought some chemical cleaner from NAPA autoparts and it was some fantastic stuff. I remember paying like $49.99 for a gallon of it with the little parts basket included. I called NAPA today and don't seem to carry the stuff anymore. They do have a gallon of carb cleaner for $19.99, but I'm not certain it's of the same grade as I purchased before. I going to guess that there is a difference in consumer vs. industrial grade cleaners.

Could someone here possibly point me in the right direction for some of the professional grade cleaner?

Regards, Robby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a cleaner made by GUNK, comes in a gallon can with the parts basket inside. Stuff works really well, 20 min. soak recommended, so it's pretty powerful stuff.

Cost just over $40 as I recall. Probly just what you're looking for.

Grainger has this....I think it's the same as mine (although the can is different) http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GUNK-CarburetorParts-Cleaner-2WFY6?Pid=search

Year ago I found a 50 gallon drum of Carbon Tet. I dunked a dirty Holley carb in it and it came out shinning. Not sure if it's still stuffed in my former father in laws garage still. I'll bet the EPA wouldn't want it here in MA? I use the gallon gunk stuff too and some thin guitar wire if I have too. Ultra sonic cleaners are popular now, not to much at HF. Anyone use them?
Steve

The EPA killed all the really great cleaners. Years ago (in the early 80's) I had a 20 gallon parts cleaner that I filled with cleaner from Sam's Club no less. It came in a huge drum. As soon as I added it to the parts cleaner, all the paint floated to the top. It actually burned my hands. Had to use really heavy duty gloves. It did clean EVERYTHING though... :biglaugh:

Yeah, used to use hondas cleaner. They don't make it like they used took. Guess they wanted to sell ultrasonics.

Back