Carb Cleaning?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ost85vmax

Reaction score
So I would really appreciate any information from those of you who can help me out.

This coming weekend I plan to take my carbs off and clean them up the best I can. They dont really need it but my soon to be 6yo daughter loves working in the garage with me so whats better then working on the max and enjoying it with my daughter!! Guess I am kinda creating a project for myself but I have not dug to far into them. I know the mains, needles, ect but want to get everything documented for my own sanity. Call it OCD or whatever but I just want to make sure I know everything I can thats going with the bike.

Anyways I want to take them all apart and will use the stickyies here as my guide. My question is... I dont want to have to buy any parts(except the screws that I will change out to hex) unless I find something is in need. So i want to clean them up the best I can, set/check the floats, ect. So does anyone have some advise as how far to go or what not to do. I dont want to pull a cover off and all of a sudden realize I need a new gasket or an oring and then be stuck waiting for someone to ship it to me.?

Thanks!

Maybe you just want to remove diaphragms, slides & needles....clean everything up and re-install. You can do that without removing the carbs or going too far into them.

If you're looking for 'busy work'...(and I think it's great that you want to enjoy some time with your daughter)... deep inside the carbs may not be the best place to go. Especially if they don't need cleaning.

EDIT: Or, just pull the rack, change to hex head bolts and adjust the float levels....and final sync when done.

also be careful with 'carb cleaning' stuff around the little one.

well usually the jet block gasket will tear upon removal unless you can get to it b4 the fuel dries up totally. even then it may tear on you.
but if yer carefull you can ease em off.

something i found very usefull is a cple cans of compressed air that you can buy for cleaning electronics.....its pretty powerfull and great for blowing out the jet passages.

great for us floks that dont have an air compressor:biglaugh:

if youre bike is running good then id just break em down into pairs. you can access everything except a cple decell diaphrams. be carefull with the screws they strip EASY!!! if you cant get em loose....get yer trusty vise grips out ....that will break em loose. grip on em from the top not the side.

Thanks guys. Yes I guess you can call it busy work, or more of an excuse for some bonding time. Its either sit inside and play with barbies or lets work on the max together. She enjoys both so its a no brainer for probably everyone on here I would guess. Yes, keep the carb cleanng stuff away from the little one for sure. She is pretty good at knowing to stay away when I ask.

Probably will just pull them and adjust/check floats. Basically what Dan said. I suppose I shouldn't try to fix whats not broken.

Thanks again and damn everyone on here is quick with response, any faster and it would be live!

If your bike is running good, stay as far away from the carbs as you can! It will happen soon enough when you need to pull, clean and adjust them. If you want to do some fun maintenance with your child just wash and wax that beast with her, change your anti-freeze, change your oil, anything but screwing with your carbs :rofl_200: If you want to pull the carbs for fun, I would suggest doing it in the off season to avoid down time during riding season should something go wrong, oh and it usually does... :twocents:

Latest posts

Back