Carb diaphragms

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James t

To boldly go where no man has gone before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm putting on some new rubber diaphragms on my carburetor slides this weekend does anyone have a good way of keeping it seated in the carburetor groove until you get the cover on all it wants to do is pop out want to make sure it seats in there nice and flush let me know thanks

Well here's what I did last time and it worked pretty well, after removing the old diaphragm I get the new diaphragm on the slide and then I slowly work it in the groove with a very thin but not Sharp putty knife or scraper, I go around the diaphragm a couple times and stretch it a little to get the wrinkles out but you need a very thin piece of metal or scraper enough to go in that little groove, here's the scraper I use last time make sure it has some rounded edges nothing pointy or Sharp

Attachments

• 20221123_071647.jpg
    20221123_071647.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
I use the plastic top from a cottage cheese container with a center hole for the spring, place the cover and slide the plastic out. A little WD-40 helps.
Can you explain the cottage cheese lid a little more how do you get the lid off do you cut a slot in it

Any light flexible piece of plastic will work. Trim the edge so it's flat, cut a 1" or so hole in the center for the spring, cut a slot to allow for the spring. Use the plastic to hold the diaphragm in the groove, place the cover on and gently slide the plastic out.

I like that idea I'll give it a try this weekend thank you, you're extra smart you must have went to college twice

Well here's what I did last time and it worked pretty well, after removing the old diaphragm I get the new diaphragm on the slide and then I slowly work it in the groove with a very thin but not Sharp putty knife or scraper, I go around the diaphragm a couple times and stretch it a little to get the wrinkles out but you need a very thin piece of metal or scraper enough to go in that little groove, here's the scraper I use last time make sure it has some rounded edges nothing pointy or Sharp
Thanks.

Back