Carb float catching on jet holder assembly?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1200fan

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Currently cleaning and rebuilding the carbs on my 97 Vmax Canada import. Bike has been unable to idle (have to blip the throttle at traffic lights to stop the bike stalling) and also the idle races to 3500-4000 sometimes too.

Found a number of faults already with the carbs but this one is baffling me.

One of the floats seems to be sitting too low when in place and cannot move freely as the bottom of the float catches and rubs on the jet holder assembly beneath it.

The jet holder is in place and screwed down and only has the gasket between it and the carb body. I've replaced the float and same problem so it's not the float itself.

Only thing I can think of at this stage is very small washers to shim the float up on its' pivot pin to get it to clear? This sound ok to do?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks all.

The float arm could be bent, no-way should they ever be in a position to rub like that. Sounds like someone was ham-fisted in a prior carb work operation.

That's great info, yep I'll look at straightening that pin. Just a little pressure using small pliers should do the job?

Thanks again everyone I appreciate this.

All done. Little tweak on the pivot pin with thumb pressure and the float is moving properly now and not catching anymore.

Many thanks again to you all for your help. This forum has helped me out before and I'm properly grateful.

Back