Carb Install - Seating?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AEmedic

Reaction score
I am re-installing my carbs and I guess I didn't pay close enough attention when I took them off.

When I am seating the carbs, how far do they need to be inserted in the intake boots to be fully seated? When I look under the carbs there appears to be a gap between the main carb body and the top of the intake boot...do they go on further or is there a bit of a gap, say 1/8" or so?

I believe there is a little lip on the carb body its self, and when they are fully seated, the lip will prevent them from going any further down.

Chris, check this picture out. You can see the small rib on the carb almost flush with the top of the boot.

A small smear of silicon lube will help the carbs go onto the rubbers. Press down on one side of the stack and then the other. You will feel them 'snap' into position.

The real pita can be getting all 4 airbox boots to seat back down on all 4 carbs at the same time. They shrink and/or harden with age and become more difficult, eventually requiring replacement - a process morley recently helped me out with by selling me new ones for my 85.

It went very well once I realized I needed them to go on further. I didn't even need to use the silicone lube. The hardest part was getting the PVC hose clamp back on...

BTW, The bike runs great with the rebuilt carbs, thanks dannymax!

The real pita can be getting all 4 airbox boots to seat back down on all 4 carbs at the same time. They shrink and/or harden with age and become more difficult, eventually requiring replacement - a process morley recently helped me out with by selling me new ones for my 85.
+1, old boots can make it near impossible get the carbs to seat properly. If you try a new set you see how much easier it is.

A hair dryer will make life easier this time of year (and even during the summer)!

Nothin' worse that getting wet hair in your eyes when trying to get carbs on!

Too funny.

A couple months ago as the temps here got colder, I noticed my bike coughing a bit too much and dicovered my upper boots dislodged. No amt of lube helped. I actually heated them with a propane torch. Shrunken sonsobetches still wouldnt all seat up at the same time. Sean had my new ones here before my cussing had stopped echoing in the garage.

Mine were literally shrunken. I could barely force them all four on at the same time, and with Shala helping me hold them down while I tightened clamps, you could see them popping themselves back up off. Very flusterpating, to put it mildly.

Latest posts

Back