VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Lets start off with jetting recommendations:
I'm putting in a set of carbs with a morley muscle jet kit and DJ Stg7 needles. I'm looking for a recommendation on jets and needle clip positons and shims (if req'd) to get in the ballpark. My elevation is 1200-2000'. Planning to retain v-boost. I will be putting on a big tube Hindle 4-1.

Next up is the cleaning:
I've got the carb rack split in half, float bowls opened, jet blocks out, and will be spraying everything with brake cleaner and using compressed air. Slides are out, main jet, a/f screws too. Anyone think its necessary to go further than that?

Question about the choke. I noticed on the left bank of carbs (cylinders 1&2, with the choke lever) that the choke plungers seem a bit difficult to operate. Those two plungers don't seem to come out in synch with the ones on the opposite side either. They will come out much further. Other than disassembly and lubing and checking proper orientation of the set screws is there anything else that may cause this?

Hey guys,

I'm putting in a set of carbs with a morley muscle jet kit and DJ Stg7 needles. I'm looking for a recommendation on jets and needle clip positons and shims (if req'd) to get in the ballpark. My elevation is 1200-2000'. Planning to retain v-boost. I will be putting on a big tube Hindle 4-1.

i'm full vboost, but a lower elevation -> 155's, 2.5 clips, 177 paj2 stock springs, drilled slides

maybe start with stock mains or 155s, 3 clips and stock the rest

Next up is the cleaning:
I've got the carb rack split in half, float bowls opened, jet blocks out, and will be spraying everything with brake cleaner and using compressed air. Slides are out, main jet, a/f screws too. Anyone think its necessary to go further than that?

how much do u trustthem right now?

Question about the choke. I noticed on the left bank of carbs (cylinders 1&2, with the choke lever) that the choke plungers seem a bit difficult to operate. Those two plungers don't seem to come out in synch with the ones on the opposite side either. They will come out much further. Other than disassembly and lubing and checking proper orientation of the set screws is there anything else that may cause this?

mine did the same thing after comign back from the shop. the allignment was just off

So far the carbs don't look too bad. A little varnish on the needles and the pilot jets are definitely plugged up. Check out the pic.

Got the pilots soaking in some marine clean, hopefully that will loosen the stuff. Tried using some cleaning wires that we have for our cutting torches and even the smallest one was too big for orifice in the jet.

Garrett, can you further explain your "alignment issue"

So far the carbs don't look too bad. A little varnish on the needles and the pilot jets are definitely plugged up. Check out the pic.

Got the pilots soaking in some marine clean, hopefully that will loosen the stuff. Tried using some cleaning wires that we have for our cutting torches and even the smallest one was too big for orifice in the jet.

Garrett, can you further explain your "alignment issue"

i forget exactly but there was extra drag on the lever. ended up taking it apart and cleaned out the plunger. it took a bit of playing but basically the arm wasn't lined up 100% and when it pulled it, it was at a slight angle causing extra drag.

Forgot to add the pic of the plugged up pilot jet

thats plugged!

Hey guys,

Next up is the cleaning:

The only time you need to split the carbs into singles is to get to the inside coasting enrichers.

For the choke linkage make sure the choke plunger is centered within the fork looking thing that pulls on it. Also make sure the set screws are correctly centered in the little dimple on the choke linkage rod.

and i just found on mine all of a sudden it was hard to operate the choke, just ended up with a little lube on it(that what she said!!! hahaha) and it works like a dream, guess it didnt like the metal on metal action.

Just a little update. Bike is running real good with 155 mains, stg7 needles clip on 3rd from pointy end, stg7 springs (all I got), drilled slides, stock PAJ.

No vboost yet, the control box is broke but still pulls hard. Planning to run some power to it and open it up and leave it that way and test it out.

The choke is nice and smooth now. Took out all the plungers, cleaned them up, a bit of lube on them around the boots, lubed the choke shaft linkage, and its good to go now.

Getting a bit of popping on decel at high rpm but I'm thinking it may have something to do with the fact the hindle has a crack in the collector.

def could be the crack. how'd u set your a/f screws?

try seeing if putting the choke on slightly gets rid of the pop, then maybe they need to be a bit further out?

interesting you guys running richer then stock jets. stock 152.5, im down to 150 (mikuni, or 160dj same thing) its running good there. mike how your plugs look, or i know you just got it going, a fuel mileage would be interesting to compare to. specially since you are at a higher elevation

I have one of seans modified airbox and air correctors in there. When I had stock needles I was running 160/162.5 mains. Now that I have stg7 needles the 155's seem pretty good.

Haven't checked the plugs yet. I've only put on about 55 miles since I got it going so I don't have a mpg yet.

Back