Carb/manifold clamp fix

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmoraider

Reaction score
Hey all. I was trying to get my bike dialed in better today and changed out my mains. Put everything back together and noticed the boot for #4 was not tightening all the way down. Tried to pull the rack back off and couldn't get it to come off that carb. Figured it must be tight enough and went for a ride. Seemed good on the top end but boggy down low so I lowered the stage 7 needles one clip. Took it out and this made it stumble and cut out so I added one shim from Sean's kit to the needles. Didn't seem to help so I got to looking at the #4 boot again. That's when I noticed the top and bottom clamp were screwed up. Couldn't tighten or loosen either one. :bang head: After dicking with them for a half hour, I was finally able to get the carbs off and then the clamps. Clamps are shot now from removal, but the boot still looks ok. Can I just use regular hose clamps on these? Where should I order new clamps from? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Sean can get them for you. Yamaha also but i do not recommend... :biglaugh:

Those clamps are special in design in that they sit in the right spot when tightened. I had a screw strip on #4 too. I was able to clean up the threads of the nut and replaced the screw to get it to work again.

I think a hose clamp would be too wide. I would try a large plactic zip tie pulled real tight as a temp fix till you can fix properly... my 2 cents.

Might be able to put a nut on the backside of the screw.

Sean

You cannot use standard hose clamps because the joints have a rib that seats by the clamp bolt and prevents it form turning around on the joint when fastening, you can always cut the rib off if you like. I'd get proper clamps or just do as Sean suggested, grind or drill the stock nut through and get a nut on the back. You can always grind it off and weld a new nut in there or one of those clamp nuts (check pic below), i think that putting a plain nut in the back will be hard to prevent it from turning when fastening.

Clamping-Nut.jpg

Back