carb meet manifold / oily intake boots

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

113s&s

Reaction score
both rear rubber boots where carbs connect to manifold seem to be damp with oil cant see oil anywhere else except for on the clamps holding boots on...just cleaned out the breather catch incase that had anything to do with it....any ideas ...can cracked boot cause this problem...if you want to talk about the price of gas in this threat its ok also

Re: carb meet mainafold

Are you sure it's oil and not gas? Crankcase breather runs back there so might have something to do with it. Other than that, check for a leaky valve cover gasket.

Clean it up and keep an eye on it.

Are you sure it's oil and not gas? Crankcase breather runs back there so might have something to do with it. Other than that, check for a leaky valve cover gasket.

Clean it up and keep an eye on it.
thanks for quick reply mark i figured if gas it would evaporate ....cleaned it up good wait and see thanks again

thanks for quick reply mark i figured if gas it would evaporate ....cleaned it up good wait and see thanks again

Have you tightened them? I check mine every so often as I am used to riding my SV with it's twin albeit smooth it still rattles bolts loose.:thumbs up:

Have you tightened them? I check mine every so often as I am used to riding my SV with it's twin albeit smooth it still rattles bolts loose.:thumbs up:
yup tryed that a while ago :hmmm: and again

Re: carb meet manifold

Check for oil in your air box. Mine had the same problem, where the oil ran down the side of the carb.

Cant find an oil leak? I have found a solution..

Air compressor set to about 20 PSI
Blowtip nozzle
Bottle of dishwash soap mixed with water in a spray bottle.

Remove the crankcase hose from the airbox.
Shoot air into keeping air going in.
Spray around with the soapy water and look for bubbles. PRESTO thats where your leaking..

DO NOT go over 20 psi with a risk of blowing out a gasket.

thanks for that tip lankee id guess id have to block off the Y also was wondering....first time seeing the inside of he oil breather catch..gasket was soaked with oil but no oil inside the air box..catch was filled withn the white stuff....been thinking about the guys who would say run 3 1/2 quarts :ummm: think theres a chance the 4 quarts causes more oil to run up the breather and sit in the catch .. where 3 1/2 quarts less oil in catch .............more simple terms will overfilling oil blow more oil out the breather

took a good look around see nothng ..question....sight glass full when off no oil line in glass when at idle oil line is just a hair above half...think oil level should be lower when running

took a good look around see nothng ..question....sight glass full when off no oil line in glass when at idle oil line is just a hair above half...think oil level should be lower when running

Where are you at with this currently
Have you found the source of the oil leak
Oil leaks are fusterating as hell give us an update so we can figure this out for ya

Where are you at with this currently
Have you found the source of the oil leak
Oil leaks are fusterating as hell give us an update so we can figure this out for ya
currently i just looked around with a light with side scoops off air box still on.not the best way... under air box seems dry breather line going to box is dry top clamps under air box dry manifolds before and after bottom boots are dry...i sprayed a little brake cleaner on all 4 botton boot clamps and will keep an eye when i start riding again......im sure if i took the air box off it would tell me a whole lot more.with it still under warrenty ill leave it alone for now...i know when oil is clean its really hard to see...thanks for your help lankee...plus really not sure about removing the air box dont want to screw up something then get blamed at dealer for taking it apart

113, air box is pretty easy to take off. Just loosen 4 clamps and pull up.

When putting it back on, lift up coolant resevior and hang to the side. That'll make it easier to reattach breather hose to bottom of air box.

113, air box is pretty easy to take off. Just loosen 4 clamps and pull up.

When putting it back on, lift up coolant resevior and hang to the side. That'll make it easier to reattach breather hose to bottom of air box.

thanks for that info ...think ill try that this afternoon...thanks again

Cool, let us know. I need to add pictures to my Main Jet sticky post showing how to remove the air box. If you run into troubles let me know and I can get that done this afternoon.

took the air box off pretty easy ,took off side scoops disconnected two lines to coolant over flow pulled off and breather line disconnect ...looked over everything pretty good seen no oil anywhere....but looking at carb slides they seemed a little oily like a very thin film of oil...to make sure i kept everything open for an hour ,thinking if it was gas it would evaporate ..after hour moved slides could still see a film where slides and body of carb touch looks like a thin film of what i think is something other then gas ?...only pain in the ass was getting oil breather line back on under air box...no oil anywhere else even rubber stacks in airbox dry inside where oil breather vents.....think it possable if oil is to full could cause this ?....

took the air box off pretty easy ,took off side scoops disconnected two lines to coolant over flow pulled off and breather line disconnect ...looked over everything pretty good seen no oil anywhere....but looking at carb slides they seemed a little oily like a very thin film of oil...to make sure i kept everything open for an hour ,thinking if it was gas it would evaporate ..after hour moved slides could still see a film where slides and body of carb touch looks like a thin film of what i think is something other then gas ?...only pain in the ass was getting oil breather line back on under air box...no oil anywhere else even rubber stacks in airbox dry inside where oil breather vents.....think it possable if oil is to full could cause this ?....
Yeah that is a bitch getting that line connected back up to the air box and the clip back on it too. At least it was the 2 times I ever had to do it so far. Something tells me that I will become pro at this and other Vmax maintenance.:confused2:

Yeah that is a bitch getting that line connected back up to the air box and the clip back on it too. At least it was the 2 times I ever had to do it so far. Something tells me that I will become pro at this and other Vmax maintenance.:confused2:

that clip the open end was facing the front of the bike .....when putting it back i faced it towards the coolant overflow

put my bike on center stand and loosened oil drain bolt and placed a measuring cup underneath as it drained out slowly i had a few smokes and waited for the oil to reach the top of the sight glass well 15 oz later it started to show on the full line...ill tell ya 15 oz looks like a hell of a lot of oil.. so i figure 3.5 or slightly more with filter is full...im thinking the half qt overfull was causing the bottom rubber manifold boots to get wet and seep oil from the breather blowing it through because of the over fill.......lots of guys said 3.5 manual said 4.02...time will tell......with the 3,5 site glass to the top with bike running with some rpm oil is at the botton of glass..before with 4 qts bike running rpm oil was little above half....eather im full of shit or found the problem

no comments on the carb slides looking wet with a film normal ?...should be dry ? gas will make them feel like a film is on them ?...no way its oil from overfull crank
?

It's mostly just gas, might be a tiny bit of oil mist due to crank case breathers put vent gas through there. Nothing hurt though. Fuel comes up from the needle jet and some of it goes through the slide hole....so a bit of fuel is normal. Mine are a bit wet.....just like my women.

Back