carb rebuild kit?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randu

Supporting Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend the best place to get one for my '98?-ebay and amazon are confusing-ive yet to rebuild a motorcycle carb, but i want to give it a shot and want to buy the right stuff. thank you

Yamaha OEM parts

K&L replacement parts, Parts Unlimited has them or look online. The kit part # for the one I use the most is in several threads, use the search function

If you want to only remove the carbs once, then go OEM or all-balz or similiar. I like wrenching so I use the ebay/amazon kits a lot knowing I may have to play around with the carbs. I've rebuilt many carbs with them. 90% of the time there are no issues, but the other 10% of the time you'll end up taking the carbs back out. Issues I've had:
- Bowl gasket ('83 Nighthawk 650): The one that came with the kit swelled when exposed to gas, so after a few days I noticed drops of gas below the bowl. I took the carb out, took the bowl off, and couldn't get the gasket to reseat because it grew so much! I used the original and put it back together. The 'Chinese' gasket shrunk down to the correct size within a day as the gas evaporated off, but I threw it out anyways.
- Float valve (Triumph America 790): I rebuilt the carbs and used the new float valves. After a few days I found gas in the airbox. After removing the carbs and comparing parts I found the float valve to be about 1mm longer than the original. Put the original back in and no issues. I now compare the parts to the originals... one other time I found the new float valves to be about 1mm longer so I didn't use them.

Note: I've never noticed any issues with the cheap jets that others will probably mention.

If you want to do it once, spend the $100 and get the all-balz kit.
If you enjoy wrenching, spend $50 and get the ebay kit.

YMMV

Latest posts

Back