Carb Synch Nightmare!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2maxowner

Reaction score
I own 2 Vmax's. I've had one of them for 16 years and the other, more recently. I have rebuilt and synched the carbs a couple times in the past and each time, the bikes ran good enough with the choke off to be able to effectively synch them.
This time, however, it's a nighmare. They synched fine and ran great for a couple days and then that's when they fell apart literally. I have been trying for the last year on and off to get the bikes to run with the choke off so they can be synched...but no luck whatsoever.
I have taken the carbs apart probably 4 times EACH to make sure I didn't miss anything. All the float levels ars fine and there ar eno spark issues. I am a very experienced cycle mechanic, I've been working on bikes for 30 years and these two have me stumped.
Is there a place that I can send the carbs to get them set to where they are all pulling the same vacuum...I know each cylinder may be a bit different. I'm at my wits end...how can I get the bike to at least idle with the choke off?:bang head: Please help!

Is the idle thumb screw on the left side set right? Make sure each throttle plate is open a tad, otherwise excessive vacuum and the bike will stall.

When you rebuilt the carbs did you remove the pilot fuel jet from the jet block? I soak mine in carb cleaner for several minutes, blow dry with compressed air and then make sure I can blow through the jet using a small straw. Also, squirt carb cleaner in each float bowl orifice and make sure the cleaner exits somewhere.

Do the floats move freely and not binding?

The carbs were totally taken apart and every orifice and jet was cleaned. I even have cleaning tools that clean the jets very effectively, I've been a vistim of varnished up idle jets. The floats move freely. I removed the idle air mixture adjustment screws and blew those out as well. I have heard many times that these can be a bear to synch if they aren't set close to good after you rebuild the carbs. I tried to rig up a flow bench to try and get them at least flowing the same but i have had no luck with that yet, I need a larger vacuum source.
The problem with opening the butterflies more is the vacuum characteristics change when the fuel starts going through the off idle jets.

Have you tried swapping carbs between your two bikes? Have you tested your compression?

Back