Carb teardown

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The devil definitely in the Carbs on a VMax!!! I had recently pulled my 2005 Max out of a number of years of being garaged and not ridden. Just got released from a “witch” I was married to for about 6 years… I got the house and the mortgage but that is ok… The Max had the typical jellied gas disease from sitting up. This is my third Max and bought it used in 2008 and drove a long way to get it; a 2005 Anniversary model like my second. Someone hit me and ran on that one. Had an FJR after that for several years until someone took it and totaled it…

First 2 were bought new and modified them pretty well. This one somewhat but replaced the stock mufflers with Supertrapp Silencers part of a set of headers. Short on $ so these work well with the adjustable baffles Jetting, K&N, Nology Wires, etc. . And I like the black with the black wheels. Not as much a punch as tuned header pipes, but still strong and not as loud as previous. Numerous other tweaks. Have not replaced the rear wheel with a 17” as before, but put a Shinko Tour master on the rear and yes no wobble up to 130mph!!! Have not pushed farther yet.

The point is after 2 carb rebuilds and installing rebuild kits, checking diaphragms, spacing needle, adjusting everything and using a high “E” guitar string to clean out fuel ports the cleaner could not, got everything right or so I thought. Have a set of carb gauges and tried to sync the carbs up. Old girl would not idle below 1800 rpm. Set the carb air mix at 2 ½ turns as in the past still would not idle below 1500 to 1800 rpm. Had to set the slow jet air mixture screws to “3” turns out. Of course these are sealed from the factory so it is trial and error. But most I have discussed with and read it is 1 ¾ to 2 ½ . Actually 3 ¼ did the trick. Now 1000 rpm smooth and lopey. The carbs have always been the devil with the Max if they get out sync. The setup is somewhat complex and most dearler’s do not have someone savvy enough get them right. Just variations of close…

But all hail to the legendary VMAX… Second to my FJR, the only bike I have ever had that got regular compliments and I have had a bunch. Gen 2 has my interest, but I am considering a Spider. Just addicted I guess.

Latest posts

Back