Carb Tuning Help from Fellow V Maxers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjb600

Reaction score
I just acquired a 1982 Honda V45 Magna. I have been having trouble getting the carbs tuned perfectly. The problem is, when I turn the throttle, it will go up to about 5K RPM and hang there 5-10 seconds before it comes back down to normal idle around 1500 RPM. I cleaned and synced the carbs, replaced the pilot jets and float needles while I was in there. I am suspecting a leak somewhere in the carburetor boots, but could not find leaks testing with spraying starter fluid around the boots near the intakes. I want to be sure this is actually the problem before I shell out another $80 on this bike. Thanks for your help!

Plugs are a light tan color. I did mess the with the pilot screws and I can get the idle to act more normal at about 1 1/4 turns out. Normal setting should be around 2 3/4 according to the manual.

I did check the throttle cables and choke cable and they seem to be operating fine. But I am going to do another check of the cables to make sure they aren't being pinched somewhere. It is a very odd issue because the bike will idle fine when I start it. It has had this issue since I bought it a little over a month ago, but I thought a good carb cleaning would solve it. Although it seems a little difficult to start, that may be because I have the pilot screws set pretty lean.

Sometimes when those cables get old, they tend to bind ever so slightly and take their time returning. If the carbs are good and clean, and the rubber intake boots aren't cracked, I'd take a hard look at those cables!

I forgot to mention that this problem only comes up when the bike is fully warmed up. When the bike is cold, it does not seem to have this problem. Would this indicate something else?

Rich condition gets worse as the bike heats up. Ignition/electrical problems seem to surface when engine is at operating temp too.

What electrical items should I check to see if there is something wrong? Throttle cable is good, no detectable leaks in the carb boots. I took out the pilot screws and inspected them for damage, they are good.

Like I said, right when I start the bike, it runs really good. When it is fully warmed up is when the idle hangs up. I can even feel it when riding, when I let up on the throttle to shift gears, I can see the rpms stay up and not come down like normal.

Latest posts

Back