carb woes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll have to wait and see what happens.

From what very little I know about Brexit, rather than having an EU trade agreement with the United States, you now have absolutely no agreement at all.

Correct!
Although as long as Biden and Borris rush through agreements for motorcycle parts, Gibson Guitars and Steve Stevens paraphernalia I'll be happy. :)
I have enough alcohol here to last me a good while so not bothered about that just now.🥃 ;)

If you're counting on that, you may be in trouble.

President Biden is not going to alienate the entire EU to help out the UK. Biden has also been adamant that there will be no deal at all if they screw with Ireland. If the UK violates the Northern Ireland peace pact in any way, they will be on their own entirely.

They were told that by Biden himself back in September.

If you're counting on that, you may be in trouble.

President Biden is not going to alienate the entire EU to help out the UK. Biden has also been adamant that there will be no deal at all if they screw with Ireland. If the UK violates the Northern Ireland peace pact in any way, they will be on their own entirely.

They were told that by Biden himself back in September.
I can see you study bikes and politics, and keep up to date with both.
For me I just hope it all irons out and the working classes benefit in some way. Probably not but we can live in hope.
😃

Pulled them back off. Measured floats again. All good 28.5mm +/- dry.set them up on the bench and filled them with a stock pump from my i.v. tank 1 foot below the pump.

Bowls filled as befor. Uneven.

went thru and wet adjusted each float for 17mm wet. only one of them was in the 1.115-1.125 range. The other three were 1.012, 1.035, 1.021.

returned rack to its host, hooked everything up, synced. and got these levels running cold or hot. the level would only go up after it is turned off by about 4/5 mm. at start up they would go back down and stay there until shut off again.

The stumble is still there but the falling off and stalling is gone.

floats all weighed within .5 gram of each other but three were a full gram heavier than the other one at the far end from the needle.693B59D0-0F11-4811-B862-3357EE7015BF.jpeg7944908A-027D-4834-8912-6234DBBCFE06.jpeg100C3599-ECEF-473C-A179-B2AEED56E780.jpeg9D6659AD-2A2C-46CC-A216-DDB5714F728C.jpegFC679847-D58E-424B-B6A0-48089E5C6867.jpeg

Last edited:
Could not see the attachment mate.
What I can say is that after the running at mid temp I then pulled the carbs out and finely adjusted them using a depth micrometer (British made and open to trade agreement through my own Ltd company, not cheap 😀). If you have a vertical and horizontal stop as shown on the carb body then you can finely adjust the carbs within 4 though (0.1 mm) depending on your touch.
Unfortunately you are still relying on the needle valve spring (against pump pressure) for your final measurement, so you can over compensate with float height adjustment due to this, not forgetting temperature.

Attachments

• D2BA12BD-8567-48C8-8832-9C245E1FA3C3.jpeg
    D2BA12BD-8567-48C8-8832-9C245E1FA3C3.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 98456BD1-6198-48C4-A861-89B759DC991A.jpeg
    98456BD1-6198-48C4-A861-89B759DC991A.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 20
based on what i saw today with this set as well as 8 other floats I will probably never use measurement to bench set vmax carbs ever again. eyeball em wet set em and go.

at least until RempageR1 gets his f.i. sorted

stupid question but you have obviously seen this - in partucular to the part that says carbs must be positioned vertically.

as you have the mastered the art of removing the carbs, can you not place them on a flat bench, fit a tube to the fuel pump and check levels off the bike?

carb level.jpg

Hi. Not sure if this is your point, excuse me if it is not.
Done mine on the bench test as shown. D3CEC8CA-E6FA-4197-A700-4E3BCA2133B2.jpeg
Assembled them according to the manual on a flat surface ( surface table). But still temperature put a different fuel reading height on the carbs, forcing further adjustment

Thats how i did it. apparently my photo attachments cant be seen.

I took dry measurement as gospel and ran into running issues. I have set up several sets of these and never had a problem using dry measurement.

apparently its not always accurate. I guess thats what the wet measurement is for.

or maybe i missed the part where you should always wet check them. either way i got it now.

I tried to get OEM parts, but over here in Scotland it can be a struggle getting anything for this bike OEM. Fowlers in Bristol is the best supplier For instance there is nobody in the UK that I can find has a valve tool, or sells one, or has a drawing to make one.

EXACTREP can supply a valve tool, he showed me one when I was there

EXACTREP can supply a valve tool, he showed me one when I was there
Had a look on the website, don't see them straight off but I'm sure not everything they have will be on their site. I'm going to give them a phone and hopefully get one.
Thanks allot mate, appreciated.

I've had stage 7 springs not push the slides back enough, at idle before. Especially if the bike sat for a while. The wet check, imo, should be the final fuel height verification. Clogged pilot jets are a typical issue and might be worth a look. They can be a bitch to get completely clean. I always thought they could be a smidgeon bigger once putting a kit in. I'd rather not have the A/F needles turned out to far anyway.

we bought this house because the shop was big enough for my semi tractor. Now there are to many trucks and to much equipment so it lives at work. Its like 28x32 i think. I built my mkII kawasaki in a 10x10 tool shed bought at sears with an ac unit screwed thru the wall. I sometimes wish I were still in that.

I just like your engine stand, you've given me the idea, I fully intend to use it. Currently my engine is scattered around boxes all over the workshop.

You'll have to wait and see what happens.

From what very little I know about Brexit, rather than having an EU trade agreement with the United States, you now have absolutely no agreement at all.

Eh? Whhat trade agreement did the EU,have with the US?
Didly squat, thats what, when it comes to mororbike parts anyway

Latest posts

Back