carbon fiber

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likembikem

Reaction score
My 2001 Carbon fiber dummy tank cover looks good, but my front and rear fenders are faded and dull. I thought the clear coat might have faded out but the fading and spotting are deep into the carbon fiber pattern. I thought of painting the whole mess, but I like the carbon fiber. Thought of keeping the tank cover and painting the fenders. I've changed my mind on that. I am pretty much stuck with buying new OEM fenders. I would like to hear what others may think of as options. I tried the vinyl wrap, was not the same pattern but close to impossible (for me) to install, plus I didn't think it would last even if I could get it on there and look decent. I got this bike 3 years ago. It had been stored in a shed and had some problems, I have worked out most everything except the fenders. The scoops were corroded and I black powder coated them. Anyway what do you think of my fender situation?

If you really like the CF look then have your parts Hydrodipped. I've seen dipped parts with the CF pattern and they look amazing. It's also less expensive than painting.

tyga performance used to make a complete carbon fiber set for gen 1. I don't know if they're still in business. I know the US store closed a few years ago so it would involve shipping from europe if they're still around.

Dale

Exactrep is still making carbon fiber parts for gen 1 if I remember well. I have to say that hydrodipped process amazes me. I have see it on some wheels it's crazy.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

We offer the Hydro dip process as well and there are probably 3-4000 patterns! I think we only stock about 20 since there isn't a lot of difference in that many. You can color the base anyway you like and created the colored carbon (we did a red version a few years back that looked pretty cool).

The OEM was a sticker and the fenders faded more rapidly then the faux tank.

I am not sure if Exactrep has the ones they offer since that company that made them discontined them a few years back. We got the last faux tank at that time and did some paint work to it to cover over some blems. We left a large stripe in the center to show the carbon through. Turned out very slick.

Pics are in our paint album folder on the Facebook link.

Or... Buy another like new front fender from me. I like the hydro dip idea but you must do all pieces at the same time for a match. You could even do the side covers as well as the scoops or for that matter, the chrome carb intake covers!
Let us know what you decide.

Well, there you go! From now on I'm just going to recommend Morley Muscle for everything, because they can supply everything, including hydrodipping!
There is no reason to roll the dice elsewhere Sean is a reliable vendor and site sponsor.

We offer the Hydro dip process as well and there are probably 3-4000 patterns! I think we only stock about 20 since there isn't a lot of difference in that many. You can color the base anyway you like and created the colored carbon (we did a red version a few years back that looked pretty cool).

The OEM was a sticker and the fenders faded more rapidly then the faux tank.

I am not sure if Exactrep has the ones they offer since that company that made them discontined them a few years back. We got the last faux tank at that time and did some paint work to it to cover over some blems. We left a large stripe in the center to show the carbon through. Turned out very slick.

Pics are in our paint album folder on the Facebook link.

Thanks to all for your ideas. I should have been looking into this back in January. I will decide what to do soon!

Yea, but the true carbon enthusiast hates the dip since it is obviously a fake. Up close you can tell but it's harder at a distance. I've got some of the 3M overlay stuff too but need to play with it more.

unless they changed their mind these were discontinued a few years ago

I haven't asked them about it in awhile but not sure if their website is also up to date on what they can get.

I haven't asked them about it in awhile but not sure if their website is also up to date on what they can get.

Yeah. It sure does look just like the Tyga stuff. There's also the "create-your-own" method... Like this guy from the ADV forum.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603891

I know you need to be a member, but the steps are all written out for how to lay your own carbon on top of your stock parts.

I thought Tyga USA closed their doors but still has operations overseas and these parts were still available if you wanted to pay the shipping?

Could be wrong about that but, I thought that was the case?

Back