Carbtune results

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He did everything right, guys. I saw it myself. I can't help but think the model is somehow damaged. While there, he even turned the tubes around (put the limiters at the instrument end) to see if it made any difference.

It didn't. At all.

I think he just has a defective model that he needs to send back.

ok it may be nothing but nonsense, I have had a 'morgan carbtune II' for many years, the latest ones are called 'morgan carbtune pro', on some face book pages I've seen discussions over the 'morgan carbtunes' and many people have said the 'pro' model is not very good but I don't know why, maybe they bounce ?,
on mine I have found that after a few years the rods began to stick in the tubes so I had to take them apart and clean them up, a small amount of dust and condensation had got into them over the years of sitting on the shelf, they work fine after careful cleaning

on mine I have found that after a few years the rods began to stick in the tubes so I had to take them apart and clean them up, a small amount of dust and condensation had got into them over the years of sitting on the shelf, they work fine after careful cleaning
I've had the Carbtune unit quite a few years now and did have a sticky rod at one time. I used a small amount of very thin sewing machine oil to get it going again. It does look like people are getting sticky rods in these units.

Eric,

I don't mean to frighten you, but you do get bouncy readings if your bike is not running correctly. For instance drawing air on a faulty lower carb rubber will give you this effect, and other intermittent problems will make them bounce also. I know because I've been there with mine and persevered until I found it.

Hope it's your gauges though, so good luck.

Eric,

I don't mean to frighten you, but you do get bouncy readings if your bike is not running correctly. For instance drawing air on a faulty lower carb rubber will give you this effect, and other intermittent problems will make them bounce also. I know because I've been there with mine and persevered until I found it.

Again, we put my gauges on it. His bike is fine.

Eric,

Yes, that was a concern. I bought this bike a year ago, had the carbs ultrasonic cleaned, rebuilt with new kits. I will continue to watch for this but would the analog guage show this fluctuation as well?

To update: I sent an email to Morgan and they replied with several questions. After I answered them, they suggested installing either more insert tubes to restrict better, lengthening the hoses and/or running higher revs. They were clear that nothing was wrong with the unit.

To update: I sent an email to Morgan and they replied with several questions. After I answered them, they suggested installing either more insert tubes to restrict better, lengthening the hoses and/or running higher revs. They were clear that nothing was wrong with the unit.
I did not get that amount of fluctuation unless I had a problem with the bike. And yes you can put double restrictors in, thats common. You know there is virtually nothing in these Carbtune gauges, just restrictors, pipe and metal rods, if you could try the double restrictors in that may help. There are various videos available showing synchronisation at tickover, and I always do it there also as it shows up faults better at around 1k RPM.

i’m not sure about analogue gauges as some of them have oil inside to help the bounce, so it depends what you use. If the bike is running good and sits good on the analogue gauges there is maybe not much more you can do but try more restrictors in the Carbtune and do a comparison.

i’m not sure about analogue gauges as some of them have oil inside to help the bounce, so it depends what you use.
Mine don't have oil. You adjust the air flow to minimize the bounce to what you want. I set mine to where the needle bounces about the width of the needle.

With that done on his bike it was rock solid up and down the RMP range. Like I said before, I still can't figure out how he got it so well done with his tool bouncing around like it does.

Mine don't have oil. You adjust the air flow to minimize the bounce to what you want. I set mine to where the needle bounces about the width of the needle.

With that done on his bike it was rock solid up and down the RMP range. Like I said before, I still can't figure out how he got it so well done with his tool bouncing around like it does.
Aha sounds like you have much higher standard gauges. Could do with a set of them here as the Carbtune are good for certain jobs, but a bit basic for others.

Maybe Eric is a part time surgeon :). It must be a real skill watching that amount of bounce but able to figure out where it's meant to be, and have the touch to do it!

Anyway sounds like a success story, also just noticed you both live in the same area.

Aha sounds like you have much higher standard gauges. Could do with a set of them here as the Carbtune are good for certain jobs, but a bit basic for others.

Maybe Eric is a part time surgeon :). It must be a real skill watching that amount of bounce but able to figure out where it's meant to be, and have the touch to do it!

Anyway sounds like a success story, also just noticed you both live in the same area.
Maybe I am a jack of all trades, master of none. But it is a bit frustrating that the instructions did not reference this in a troubleshooting section. I guess I will make a run to Ace hardware (or Amazon if necessary) to get some more tubing. But the bike still purrs like a lion.

Not trying to throw out an advertisement, but for anyone reading this and questioning whether to purchase a Carbtune or to look at something else, I have this one.

1628606623537.png

Purchased in 2012 and still working well - it has adapters for various carb port thread sizes, and each gauge has a collar you can tighten to adjust the damping to as little or as much as you want it. I've had no problems with it on any of my bikes, except the Valkyrie... it's a couple of gauges short for that one.

It doesn't appear to be as compact as the Carbtune, but it has the adjustable restrictors that may avoid some of the issues discussed above. I guess there are tradeoffs for everything.

Not trying to throw out an advertisement, but for anyone reading this and questioning whether to purchase a Carbtune or to look at something else, I have this one.

View attachment 78904

Purchased in 2012 and still working well - it has adapters for various carb port thread sizes, and each gauge has a collar you can tighten to adjust the damping to as little or as much as you want it. I've had no problems with it on any of my bikes, except the Valkyrie... it's a couple of gauges short for that one.

It doesn't appear to be as compact as the Carbtune, but it has the adjustable restrictors that may avoid some of the issues discussed above. I guess there are tradeoffs for everything.
That's the one I have. It's a very good set.

each gauge has a collar you can tighten to adjust the damping to as little or as much as you want it.

I bought Carbtune Pro only because it was the only one available locally at the time, they are basic, but I suppose look pretty. The adjustable restrictors are the bees knees, that is the answer, proven already on this thread. On some other bikes I do things like bend the pipes and cable tie etc, but I really do fancy the adjustable restrictors.

Latest posts

Back