Carrozzeria Wheels Have Arrived

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorgBiker

Reaction score
Pics:
11h6yhh.jpg

2z5j9ea.jpg

Yes, the amazing Sean Morley sent over a set of the magic wheels!

I'm going to have them installed with Metzler ME880s 120/70-18 front, 180/55-18s in back.

From those of you who have already installed Carr's, is there anything I need to know before having them mounted? Words of wisdom?

I'm thinking I'll probably have them put on either Thursday or Friday (it's Tues now) so I can enjoy the upgrade over the weekend.

It's getting VERY hard to focus at work:rocket bike: :biglaugh:

- The Borg

I run mine with Dyna Beads balancing beads (1 oz. front/ 2 oz. rear) to not have unsightly weights hanging off the wheels. I'm running Shinko Verge 200/55-18 rear and 120/70-18 front which have worn surprisingly well getting almost 10 k miles on the last rear and the front is still going strong at nearly 12 k now and should last 4-5 k into next season. Over this summer I have replaced all the bolts (rotor carrier/ rotor bolts) with titanium bolts from Pro Bolts to add a bit of bling. Don't forget to add a bit of anti seize grease to them if you also add them.
Funny thing happened when I first had my tires installed I had intended to put the Dyna Beads in but somehow forgot and didn't realize it until a long while later, the Shinko tires were well balanced/ mounted so I had no vibrations.
You have a beautiful set of wheels, I agonized between the black and the polished wheels, I think I even initially ordered the polished but a couple days later called Sean and ordered the gloss black wheels. Be ready for a way different feel that will transform your Vmax into what feels a modern handling motorcycle. Your going to love the change!:punk:

Looking good. That was officially the last silver set I had on hand. I only have a couple of black sets now.

Looking good. That was officially the last silver set I had on hand. I only have a couple of black sets now.

Which is exactly why I had to order them so fast after buying the bike - to my wife's chagrin. I originally told her I was going to buy a $2500 motorcycle - the wheels and rotors are that much!

I tried to explain how Morley's Muscle is to a Maxer like a Beverly Hills shoe shop is for women. She understood... still not "happy' about the funds drain. But she understands the big fat smile on my face :biglaugh: Which is about to get bigger with these wheels.

-The Borg

I run mine with Dyna Beads balancing beads (1 oz. front/ 2 oz. rear) to not have unsightly weights hanging off the wheels. I'm running Shinko Verge 200/55-18 rear and 120/70-18 front which have worn surprisingly well getting almost 10 k miles on the last rear and the front is still going strong at nearly 12 k now and should last 4-5 k into next season. Over this summer I have replaced all the bolts (rotor carrier/ rotor bolts) with titanium bolts from Pro Bolts to add a bit of bling. Don't forget to add a bit of anti seize grease to them if you also add them.
Funny thing happened when I first had my tires installed I had intended to put the Dyna Beads in but somehow forgot and didn't realize it until a long while later, the Shinko tires were well balanced/ mounted so I had no vibrations.
You have a beautiful set of wheels, I agonized between the black and the polished wheels, I think I even initially ordered the polished but a couple days later called Sean and ordered the gloss black wheels. Be ready for a way different feel that will transform your Vmax into what feels a modern handling motorcycle. Your going to love the change!:punk:

Ok, Sean mentioned he did the Dyna Beads, but I forgot to mention that I'm not familiar with them. How do they mount to avoid that tape on the rim?

I agonized over black wheels like 4Gasem's and the silvers, the silver won because I just like tasteful bling, and the Carr's are all about that!

- The Borg

Dynabeads are small ceramic beads that I believe are 1 mm in diameter. You take out the valve stem and pour them into the wheel.

I have them.....run them.....and they took out vibration as looking at my mirrors.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Ok so all you guys with the Carrozzeria Wheels officially SUCK !!!!
I personally would love to have them but just can't justify the cost on a bike I only paid $3300 for back in 2001.

Congrats on getting some new Bad Ass wheels !

Last edited:
Ok so all you guys with the Carrozzeria Wheels officially SUCK !!!!
I personally would love to have them but just can't justify the cost on a 6 month old bike I only paid $3300 for back in 2001.

Congrats on getting some new Bad Ass wheels !

Thank you.

I understand that completely. That's why my 96 stayed stock.

But since I could actually (barely) afford to do it this time, I couldn't afford not to.

I always wanted spoked wheels like the Kosman-made ones on the "Takin' It To The Nines" V-max back in that 1987 Cycle World issue. But just like any Holy Grail, they are impossible to find. Then the Carrs came along, and suddenly spoked seems... old:biglaugh:

-The Borg

Well, they are on and wow! A short ride from the shop back to work and it feels amazing. All the nervousness is gone, feels like the tires are welded to the road!

I ordered the Metzlers from the local dealer (matched Bike Bandit's price), and didn't check them out before having them installed. :bang head: I had asked for the front to be the recommended 120/70-18, but what I got was a 120/90-18 - so it's very close to the fender. Feels good, but a little taller than before. We'll swap to the 120/70-18 (made sure the RIGHT one is ordered this time). Lesson learned.

So, with this step (almost) complete, next step is lowering. Progressive Fork Springs and Shocks should do the trick. Then a Kerker 4-1, then selective polishing to compliment the wheels. Then I'll be content... until Gen 2 time arrives :biglaugh:

o6a9e8.jpg

Better pics when the sun remembers to come out (rare clouds in SoCal today)

That ME880 120/90-18 is a Bias ply tire.
I'm sure it will feel even better when you have a matching 120/70-18 Radial up front.

I would go back to the dealer and demand they install a radial to match your rear radial. Mixing can create some horrendous handling issues. Even mixing different types of radials (oblique angle cord construction vs. "O" degree construction) can cause bad handling.

That ME880 120/90-18 is a Bias ply tire.
I'm sure it will feel even better when you have a matching 120/70-18 Radial up front.

Yep, they've already ordered the 120/70-18, it will be on Tuesday.

Luckily, with family stuff happening and rain threatening all weekend, I won't be able to ride much. So far, it's felt fine. But I'm waiting for the correct tire before any high speed riding. I'm not about to be stupid. At least, not with this.

Got mine from Sean last week. I have about 5 hours into just staring at the bike.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445092544.836815.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445092567.173016.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445092612.833486.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they are eye-candy for sure. I like the looks of 'falling's' bike. I actually prefer the classic, stock appearance, it's just timeless in my opinion. Twenty-two years, as I've mentioned before, that's longer than Henry Ford produced the Model T (19 years, 14.6 million vehicles)!

Got the correct Metzler 120/70-18 tire on the front. Wow wow wow what a difference! I knew it would be a big difference, but I underestimated how big.

If I was riding a 1200 before, now it feels 600ish. Sooooo much lighter, more willing to turn, it's amazing! Confidence is way up, and as soon as I wear off the 'new tire coating', I feel like I can really, for the first time, feel the beast as God and Yamaha intended.

Of course, now the brakes feel even spongier than before. Luckily I have some R1 calipers and steel lines on the way, which should take care of the sponginess and hopefully feel like the brakes a V-max needs.

Quick pic from last night:

6rqbtl.jpg

the Borg

Back