Cashiers check from the UK?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Trying to figure out the cheapest way to receive payment from the UK. The shipping for a 12x12x6 box is $60 and Im not paying the western union crooks.

Can I cash a cashiers or personal check in UK pounds at my local bank?:confused2:

Yeah, paypal figures all that stuff out for you. Automatically converts currency. It's also a lot safer than cashiers checks and not nearly as expensive as western union.

PayPal works great for me but I use a free separate checking account and just deposit money in it when I'm making a purchase. Just make sure it's doesn't have transfer ability from your main account.

thanks for pointing me to that site should be some good reading tonight

Most of my overseas customers (and many local customers) use paypal to get the funds to me. Some us western union but not many.

Sean

thanks for pointing me to that site should be some good reading tonight

I wouldn't give that site the time it takes to read. As soon as you click on it, it attempts to download scripts to your computer, which is never a good sign. Nifty firefox plugin caught it.

It also has a "very poor" reputation from WOT for factuality (i.e it's full of bullshit), safety, and is known to harbor threats to your computer.

WOT= web of trust. User maintained plugin that warns about sites. I'd recommend it. Essentially a bullshit detector for the internet.

It's a bunch of people bitching about paypal's fees, since they didn't take the time to even skim the T&C they agreed to. By default, paypal will automatically "pay" itself fees. Suddenly a couple bucks disappears from their account and they get all up in arms that paypal is stealing their money. Knowing that people who frequent the site are probably computer morons, they get away with running malware on it.

It's the digital equivalent of some moron suing Ford for trying to change the fan belt with the motor running because there wasn't a sticker explicitly saying not to.

Paypal is owned by eBay. eBay didn't get to be the largest and safest marketplace in the history of humanity by ripping off customers.

My bank will send money abroad as a tans fer between accounts.

You can specify the currency so I would assume that as long as this is in US $ then there should be no cost to yourself?

You would need to provide the sender with the recipients name, IBAN or Recipients account # and the Swift/BC code or Recipients Bank name and address.

This cost ?10.00 I can do this on line.

I wouldn't give that site the time it takes to read. As soon as you click on it, it attempts to download scripts to your computer, which is never a good sign. Nifty firefox plugin caught it.

It also has a "very poor" reputation from WOT for factuality (i.e it's full of bullshit), safety, and is known to harbor threats to your computer.

WOT= web of trust. User maintained plugin that warns about sites. I'd recommend it. Essentially a bullshit detector for the internet.

It's a bunch of people bitching about paypal's fees, since they didn't take the time to even skim the T&C they agreed to. By default, paypal will automatically "pay" itself fees. Suddenly a couple bucks disappears from their account and they get all up in arms that paypal is stealing their money. Knowing that people who frequent the site are probably computer morons, they get away with running malware on it.

It's the digital equivalent of some moron suing Ford for trying to change the fan belt with the motor running because there wasn't a sticker explicitly saying not to.

Paypal is owned by eBay. eBay didn't get to be the largest and safest marketplace in the history of humanity by ripping off customers.

OK. My ODD was getting the best of me so I opened another account with PayPal again.

No one thing concerns me still. The fellow I'm selling parts to says..

"I also have a period of time that I can claim back the money should there be any problems e.g. you get run down by a rampaging potato & are unable to send them or something..."

What does that mean?
One of the forum complaints on that malware infested site I posted was exactly that. Buyer pays, receives item in another country.. then claims he never received it and PayPal somehow pulls that money from the sellers account. I might be paranoid Because I just got scammed $50 buying through amazon third party and had other bad luck. But hey..:confused2:

PayPal and eBay both suck. The problem is there is no direct competition for either one so they can do as they please. I have been on eBay for over 12 years so I am not speaking from inexperience!! :bang head:

PayPal and eBay both suck. The problem is there is no direct competition for either one so they can do as they please. I have been on eBay for over 12 years so I am not speaking from inexperience!! :bang head:

oh def. it sucks they charge you, twice most times, but its overall pretty secure and money gets where its going. i've never had a problem with either as far as administratively.

oh def. it sucks they charge you, twice most times, but its overall pretty secure and money gets where its going. I've never had a problem with either as far as administratively.

In 12+ years I have accumulated 1759 feedbacks (as of today, counting duplicate sellers/buyers) and have had several problems with both eBay and PayPal. This is just from buying and selling personal items, not being an actual store. Right now buyers can use feedback blackmail to get concessions from sellers, particularly small sellers. They do take good care of the large sellers that bring in a lot of cash for eBay. The problems I have had would take too long to recount here but if there was any other established method of buying, selling and paying, I would drop eBay/PayPal in a heartbeat!!!

Recently ebay has started the "buyer protection" program, which included a couple tweaks for paypal. Essentially, ebay is trying to make itself more accessible and more like buying things from a set store like amazon or something. Good news for newbie buyers, not as good for sellers, since it gives the buyer a lot more "power". Which would be fine if everyone was honest, but there's a fair amount of people out there scamming the new protection program. i.e buying something, paying for it, then claiming they never got it when they did. The buyer can go on their paypal account and "dispute" their payment to the seller under the pretense they haven't shipped the item. Paypal yanks the money back and puts it in purgatory until the seller provides proof of delivery, or a period of time expires.

It doesn't just apply to ebay. Whenever you send money through paypal(not as a "gift"), you can dispute it later (why it asks you if the money is for purchases or a gift), just as you can do with a credit card if someone steals it.

I've sold everything from $.10 bolts to $50,000 boats on ebay and never had issues that I blamed ebay/paypal for. Couple buyers who hounded me for refunds after they failed to read the description, but otherwise smooth sailing.

"buyer protection"

Screw Paypal

What are the odds that two people from the UK have contacted me telling me they have the Vgas manifolds I need. And a third person from the UK wants to buy my old set?:confused2: Guess I need to introduce them to each other.:biglaugh:

I gotta ask rebar, what manifolds are you going to use, I have Vegas, I like the carbs, but my knees don't!

Latest posts

Back