Catchin' Up....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Been a while since my last post. I hope everyone is doing well. I thought I'd say hi and catch up with everyone. Like all of ya'll 've been busy with work and life. But I still get my weekend rides out to the winery country every Saturday and Sunday on the VMax.

My son shipped off to basic training for the Air Force last week. Being an Air Force vet myself I was excited for him. I knew he'd make friends and memories for a lifetime. But I must admit, the dad in me didn't anticipate how much I'd miss the little shit. Not just because I lost my lawn mowing labor, but turns out he's just a damn cool young man to hang out with -- guess I did OK and didn't fuck up the parenting thing too bad. :thumbs up:

So I got the official notice yesterday that his basic training graduation is going to be November. I started making travel plans to be down there in San Antonio to celebrate. Booked a hotel and was looking at air fare. Then I thought... maybe I could drive there. I got a ton of PTO banked up - I need to use it or lose it. I could take the long way there... swing through Biloxi and see my best friend. Then swing through New Orleans and see family and then go to San Antonio. I was mapping this out with default idea of doing this in my car and then it hit me "Hey dork -- do it on a motorcycle!"

Hmm, the trip I plan on taking on a V-Max? Certainly possible. Not entirely comfortable, but certainly possible. But then this little devil popped up on my shoulder. And the devil has this voice that makes me weak in the knees... well because it's my girlfriend... she says.... "Why don't you get that motorcycle you were planning on getting next year? Just get it now."

The motorcycle she is referring to is the Indian Roadmaster. I test rode one a few years ago and haven't been able to shake it off since. Never thought I'd enjoy a tourer -- I was there to test out the Scout actually -- had no wait to try all of the others so I did. I think I may have posted about it on here. I still love my V-Max... but that Roadmaster... that big beautiful som'bitch was made for the week+ motorcycle treks. Sorta feels a little dirty though... like I'm cheating... like going camping in a million dollar RV.

Now SHE claims I haven't had a real vacation in years. I think she's just sick of having the sore ass after riding on the back of the V-Max. The last time I took off that resembled a vacation was the trip I made down to Eureka Springs to ride with all of you badasses for a few days. That was the last time I took any days off for ME. Any others have been for taking care of sick kids.

Since I've banked up a ton of PTO... I was looking at taking a REAL two week god's honest vacation... something I haven't done in probably twenty years... she says she just wants me to make the most of it. I think she just wants to ride in a Laz-E-Boy.

Are they stupid expensive? Yep. Is spending that kind of money really practical? Nope. Can I afford one? Fortunately yes. Would I be happier than Redbone in an Irish strip bar if I had one? Hell fuckin' yea I would.

Of course the angel pops up on my shoulder. Tells me, to be more frugal. You never know what financial crisis might strike down the road and I'll be regretting the purchase.

But that's just it -- I don't know what's coming down the road. All I know is I got an expiration date, we all do, and statistically speaking I'm on the last half of that shelf life. I only got one life to live and if I sit around waiting for the perfect time... I could very well miss my window to do it.

But that's my dilemma... gettin' buyers remorse before I even fuckin' buy anything. :bang head:

Would I lose my V-Max street cred if I also had a Laz-E-Boy on wheels?:ummm:

Street cred only in danger if you use it to tow said vmax. Also Im pretty certain we can count on a significant economic downturn in the coming months/years. That may be a great time to buy a gently used one at a very deep discount. If you want one and can afford it and related expenses/heavy depreciation than go for it, ya only live once. If I had one I would probably be on it full time. Life is short, Enjoy!

Congrats on the successes of your son

If you have the means, Do it. Maybe not full price, but there's always equity in the bike. Think of it as an investment in yourself:eusa_dance:

What about making it a rental? Maybe not cheap, but you're not investing $20K and you still get to have fun on a bike. I suggest trip insurance too, maybe air ambulance service just to cover the bases. Sorry this isn't sounding too appealing when you start to think about things like that, but you're not spending $20K and that should be an appealing idea. Plus, you get to give the bike back so no 5 year financing or five-figure note or expenditure. The extra insurance is for "what-if."

This way you get to play w/someone else's bike, you have insurance if something unfortunate happens, and you get to see if you really do enjoy the life on the road.

You all make great points. Your points coupled with my own internal voices(as if that isn't creepy) I was able to talk myself out of it last night. I'm just going to make it a straight trip to San Antonio and back via car and just keep banking the PTO hours while keeping my bank account happy as well.

Boring. Sure. But responsible.

I say do what your heart tells you to do. I plan on doing more trips like the recent one to Newfoundland but I'm not going to do it on Redbone. Instead I will do what you are doing, getting an bike with a touring pedigree. Even with Redbone kitted out like a touring rig it just is not made for that, I will be getting a Super Tenere for the long trips.
Getting the Indian will let you enjoy the trip in comfort and make all the memories that much better. Your Vmax will be happy when you get home to go out to rip up the streets once again.

Glad to see you back. Missed you at Eureka Springs this year.

Yep, sometimes responsible is no fun, but it is the responsible thing to do...lol

If your willing to wait for a gently used one the PO may have dumped more $$ into mods and such aside from having eaten much of the depreciation. That being said, IMHO now is a great time to be conservative and err on the side of caution. Ill bet when the snow flies and economy starts to really wane after elections you will find a great deal and save thousands over rolling one off the he showroom floor. The motorsports market has been soft for awhile now and getting softer all the time. It seems to really be a buyers market.

Back