Caught fire while riding!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne z

Reaction score
I had just finished strecthing her legs a bit around 75 -80, cruising the rural highway on the way home from a 40 mile test run.

While downshifting and braking to turn onto the road to my house, I felt heat on my right calf. Kinda freaked when I looked down and saw flames!

I stopped quickly and stopped motor and set it on the side stand and it was on fire in the fuel pump/ battery area.

I pulled off my old leather jacket and tried to snuff the fire but the seat was igniting big time. good thing I hadn't put the seat bolts back, I just unlatched it and threw it in the ditch, where it eventualy made a huge smokey fire.

While I was trying to snuff the fire unsuccesfully with my jacket, the wires fused,and the starter engaed and pulled the bike off the sidestand since it was in some unknown gear, and it fell. tried a bit to snuff the fire layin on it's side but gas was coming out the tank and wetting and igniting on the asphalt.
The starter had quit so I pulled it up by the left bar turned full right for the most leverage fartherest from the fire, then rolled it away about 10 ft from the flames on the asphalt and set it on the side stand again.
Proceeded to try to snuff fire in fuel pump area again, starter engaged again and it went down again and starter kept running this time.
Pulled clutch and picked bike up again and tried to wait out the slow winding down of the battery while holding clutch with one hand and stuffing my jacket with the other.
Then, just before the starter quit, the dang motor started and idled a few seconds!
Then, a lady stopped an gave me her water bottle, ans it was just barely enough to extenguish the engine fire!
I almost gave up a couple times and was gonna step back and let it burn, but I'm glad now that I fought for it. Sweet running bike with only 14K and a good 2nd gear.
Pretty uneventful after that, was only 3 miles from home and neighbors helped with retrieval.
I was REAL lucky the fire started after that hi speed run instesd of during!

Post ride inspsction shows suprising little serious damage. Wiring harness, plug wire and boot fuel pump,, plastic cowling over rear cyls and battery box are the most major things.
Looks as if the fire started at the motor end of the fuel pump area, electrical? Or, it could have been a fuel leak onto the ex manifold, causing secondary fire in the harness/pump area.

Anyways, I feel lucky, and I'm looking for parts.
20150208_174615.jpg
Regards,
Wayne

Wow! What a story, that's some scary shit.....glad you weren't hurt.

That sounds like something Todd would tell me happen to him.LOL. See Todd your not the only one. Maybe the only two. That was crazy dude.

Damn, That is crazy !!!
Glad you're OK and hopefully it won't take too much to get it back up and running (without the flames).

Ouch, scary story could have been worse I guess.
I'm wondering if the fuel hose from the pump got a split in it and spayed the electrics, HT leads and alike:ummm:

Wow sorry to here this happen, Man you very bless that your able to walk away any still have the bike where you can put it back together.

Man hang in there.

WOW.....atleast you got it under control. Post what you need, I might have some of it.

Holy wow. Glad you're OK. I have a cut down seat or a stock seat Traumahawk could bring your way if he goes by my house on the way to work.

Yep.....right now I crew change out of fourchon.....but I spend the night in Lafayette. ...so no big deal to stop by Baton Rouge.

I know V-maxes are hot!...........But you've taken it to a whole different level!.......:biglaugh:......Glad you wern't hurt, hope the repairs come quickly and easily!.........................Tom.

Wow. Glad you're Ok and the bike will live. My friend's old BMW had a carb fire while he was riding. He bailed, rolled a bit, then watched as it rode down the road in a ball of flames. Ended in a ditch. He still has it and may try to resurrect it. :eusa_dance:

Dale

Thanks guys for the replies. Traumahawk and Davesax, and others: Thanks for the offer on needed parts. I live 25 miles north of baton rouge. I can meet anywhere for some parts, or pay shipping plus a decent price for the parts.

I have already found and purchased a '85 wiring harness and battery box.

Short list of needed parts is:
stock front and mid seat section and pan ( or consider a complete aftermarket seat or the cut down one Davesax)

fuel pump,

plastic rear head cowling and triangular plug boot inserts,

one stock plug boot, and rubber overflow cup for fuel filler.

May be a few more minor pieces needed,won't know until later today after more inspection.

Lotta plastic on these bikes to burn easily, the seatpan and engine plastic is what gave the most fire trouble. If they were metal, I prolly could have blown out the small fire.
So, if anyone has some of these parts I will pay fairly and take care of pick up or shipping.

Thanks, Wayne

Damn, I know Vmax's are exciting but this is over the top! I'm glad you're ok and your Vmax mostly ok. Like Traumahawk mentioned put a list together I may have some spares.

Latest posts

Back