Cautiously Proud New Owner of a 1989 VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Well, thanx for all the help in the other thread about giving a fair offer for this 1989 VMax. Actually, I ended up letting the guy talk himself into a price. I laid out the facts about what it may cost me to fix the obvious things. Tires, Non Functional Temp Ga., Paint and a seat that I can get to the Gas Cap with. BTW, It's a Corbin Seat. Black With Red Beading. CaptainKyle really sealed the fate of this seller. He offered me his 86 at $X,XXX, I printed a picture and hand it to the guy. It was all over. We agreed on $2,100.00.

The bike's not as clean as my 94. I guess it spoiled me with absolutely no rust. This bike has sat outside at some point. Yet it really isn't bad. It ran all the way home, that's a big plus. I've bought bikes in the past that I almost had to rebuild just to get them home.

I checked the tires as soon as I got it here. It was handling a little weird. It had about 20 lbs in the rear and 15 in the front.

The oil isn't overfull, It's just that hard to see it through the sight glass on this bike. It's just above the bottom mark when straight up. One of the first things I'll do is drop the pan and look for any engine damage ( Metal Shavings ) and do the O-Ring fix like I did on my 94. I want to make sure everything's worth repairing, otherwise it will be parted out except the parts I want spares of.

Lots of thoughts racing through my mind. Hope what I've written here make some sense....

My Wife asked me to tell all of you, she hasn't seen me this happy in 20 years.

Thanx again for all your help, Brothers...:biglaugh:

I might be able to get a couple right now from the left side and around the other bikes in the garage. Right side is apart, looking far any problem areas. I'll go try and post back in just a few minutes....

Here we go, Lighting Sucked as did the back ground. I've got the other bikes really crammed in one side of the garage so I can work on this one. As I said, the Right Side's apart...

"A Thorn Between 2 Roses". Tell me what I mean by that and you win absolutely nothing,,,, but to all of you it should make perfect sense.:rofl_200:

Attachments

• 89 Left Side.jpg
    89 Left Side.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 75
  • 89 Top View.jpg
    89 Top View.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 89 Right Side.jpg
    89 Right Side.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 80
The thorn would be that harley in the pic:confused2:,sportser? but the 89 looks good.By the way, I have a cure for that seat:clapping:

Very nice, thanks for posting the pics. Hope it works out to be a great deal for you. I really like the red, I know I'm going to end up painting mine at some point.

Looks pretty clean and has a few aftermarket goodies as well. Since it drove home without issue, I can't really see parting it out unless it turns out to have serious gremlins inside the motor. What's wrong with it other than tires and the crappy seat?

What are your plans for it? Flip and sell, keep for a second, for the misses?

twistedmax: A New Seat???? Or, a mod to what's there??? I'm open to suggestion. I don't even need a screw in this seat that's on it. It could go through a Hurricane and still be there. Seems kinda stupid to make a seat that has to come off every time ya put gas in....

tfranklin: I love Red, Don't know how I convinced myself to do Gray and Graphics on the 94.:ummm:

RaWarrior: I think the biggest problem was an unaware owner over the past couple years, He let the maintenance slip because he didn't know any better.
As I get into things it doesn't seem all that bad. I don't know which way I'm gonna end up going. Keep it and do a different style than my 94, Pretty it up and sell it. Only in the worst case would I part it out. I haven't found anything to warrant that yet.

Game, Identify the parts and manufacturer. see the pictures: Black Box? Thingamabob on the Speedometer? Rear Shocks?

Attachments

• 89 Box What.jpg
    89 Box What.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 89 Speedo What.jpg
    89 Speedo What.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 89 Rear Shocks.jpg
    89 Rear Shocks.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 44
omg another vmax pics plz

but no srsly wtf is the black box?

Another VMax in the background, Yes, My garage is overflowing... More Toys...

You've seen the other VMax mattness. IHNFI what the black box is.:rofl_200:
I asked you....:biglaugh:

I'd guess the thing on the speedo is some sort of shift light, and maybe the other black box is the controller for it? Are they connected?

It's shocks look vaguely familiar to the chinese ones I have, except mine are silver, and mounted right-side up.

twistedmax: A New Seat???? Or, a mod to what's there??? I'm open to suggestion. I don't even need a screw in this seat that's on it. It could go through a Hurricane and still be there. Seems kinda stupid to make a seat that has to come off every time ya put gas in....

tfranklin: I love Red, Don't know how I convinced myself to do Gray and Graphics on the 94.:ummm:

RaWarrior: I think the biggest problem was an unaware owner over the past couple years, He let the maintenance slip because he didn't know any better.
As I get into things it doesn't seem all that bad. I don't know which way I'm gonna end up going. Keep it and do a different style than my 94, Pretty it up and sell it. Only in the worst case would I part it out. I haven't found anything to warrant that yet.

Game, Identify the parts and manufacturer. see the pictures: Black Box? Thingamabob on the Speedometer? Rear Shocks?

Black box could be some kind of alarm?

Until I do some more checking and get fresh oil in the motor, I won't be checking the shift light theory. The oil's 2 years old and I'm all but certain the O-Rings popped in this one too...

The black box appears to have an on / off switch on it and may be wired into the LED Turn Signals. I didn't trace the wires yet. working to check all things mechanical first.

The shocks are also a mystery, Possibly made in China. If so, they may go to the range with me.:rofl_200:

The shocks look like the cheap "double spring" crap sold on ebay and even mounted upside down. Would work well if you have a lighter bike around like a Fazer. I didn't look the pics over too well but could see the drag bar and Corbin on it.

Sean: :-(((((((( I didn't mount the shocks.:rofl_200:They seem to work alright but are set up with lots of preload. BTW, that's at the bottom of the shocks so maybe they were made upside down on purpose? Won't know more till I'm a little more confident in the condition of the bike.... So I can run it harder.

Thanx for your input...

I have a black box like that that turned the signals into 4-way flashers. It is at least 20 years old.

Latest posts

Back