cdi/tci test?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordfc

Reaction score
Hi, i have an 85, but i have put my 98 engine in it, and used a harness and tci/cdi out of an 2005. i changed out the guages (tach panel) to the one from my98.i had eliminated the sidestand switch as it was no longer working/missing on the original 85 harness, so when i swapped out the motor to the 98 and the harness to the 05, i had to jump the switch relay wires (soldered and heat shrunk the 2 wires needed together. bike fired right up np, got about 300 kms or so on it since the bike been together and the other day it didnt seem right so i turned around went home and she died in the driveway, (lotsof juice in my odyssey and swings over fine) but now have no spark, have 12V to the coil wire input connection on both wires on all the coils. but no spark, went over the bike all grounds are tight and clean. checked resistance on the pickup coil connection and it tested at 102 which is within spec. ismy cdi/tci gone? i had this problem with my 85 about 10yrs ago and we unsoldered the board and fixed the problem diodes or resistors that were deteriorated and drove that for over 100 000 kms , until i decidedto swap motor and electronics off newer bike. is there a way to test the tci/cdi? i have a cdi/tci off my 98 somewhere, but dont want to just plug it in to try it in case i have an issue thats frying it, i really dont want to swap all the electrical back to the 85 style. anyone have any ideas?
thanks in advance
Gord

Get with Sean Morley, he has an electronic test kit for things like this, and just in case it is the TCI...etc. He should have some spares on hand. Best way to get with him is email

[email protected]

Yes, but Sean's kit is for you to purchase whatever parts from the loaner fix your issues, not just to use the loaner kit as a guinea pig to see if you have some problem which fries his CDI box too!

Really, what could be wrong with your box? Either they work or they don't, plug yours in to replace the suspected bad component and see if it fires up.

Have you tried to see if your crank trigger sensor ("pick-up coil") is within spec? There are lots of threads on that one, and also a source for a replacement that is 1/4 the cost of a new one from Yamaha. If that goes out, 'no spark.'

Try removing the side stand relay behind the left side scoop it is right where the horn & fan wires are. If it is bad the bike will fire right up.

Dave

Sean,the ohms tested at 102 for the pickup coil (i disconnected the black and orange wire connector under seat/side cover area

Latest posts

Back