Central PA member looking for service

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterdm22

Reaction score
hi all,

I have a 2000 with 9,960mi on her, brought it to a “reputable” Yami local guy to have her carbs synced(sat for a bit b4 I got her and one of left cylinders is not firing correctly...is there anyone who can help in the area or know if a good shop?

Thanks,
Pete M

You probably have a clogged small brass pilot jet in the jet block, requiring disassembly of the carbs at least to front and back pairs, and then float bowl removal, to do.

Changing the fuel filter if it hasn't been done and a close inspection of the gas tank is mandatory.

I'm not aware of any reputable shop in your area.
John Furber is the only vmax guy I know of in PA. He's not very close to Clearfield though.
https://www.facebook.com/RMSportMax/
You could always pull the carbs and mail to Dannymax or, dig in on your own and ask for help here. There are how to guides with photos on how to do nearly everything you need on carbs right here in the forum.

Thank you Fire-medic for your response, I installed a new fuel filter when I got the bike along with spark plugs and CDI, I removed the carbs and brought them to the shop to have him clean them then I installed them drive it to him and he synced the carbs. The low rpm sputter was bad so I brought it back and he adjusted again it is better but cruising u can head and feel the spitter then I give it a slight amount of throttle and it smooths out. That’s why I really am trying to find a good shop that knows this beast. PS it has the coil over spark plug upgrade from the douche b4 me.

Yeah, if it's "off-idle sputter," I suspect the pilot jet on the sputtering cylinder has become clogged. It happens.

To clean that pilot jet, you're going to remove the carbs and at-least split them into front and rear pairs, and then you will have access to the float bowl, to remove the jet block for access to the pilot jet. SInce you've got them apart that-far, I'd check/clean all-four jet blocks for both screw-in brass jets.

Last edited:
hi all,

I have a 2000 with 9,960mi on her, brought it to a “reputable” Yami local guy to have her carbs synced(sat for a bit b4 I got her and one of left cylinders is not firing correctly...is there anyone who can help in the area or know if a good shop?

Thanks,
Pete M

Pete, RMSportMax is ~3 hours from you, (Allentown, PA area) & we specialize in VMAXs. 610-509-VMAX(8629) There are a couple of other things that could be causing this, if the carbs have already been cleaned recently...(& the ethanol in fuel means that the pilots can plug back up, or become restricted, quickly as well...)

After you get that cleaned up, my suggestion would be to run NON ethanol whenever you can. That damn corn gas screwed up my Tour deluxe V4 this year but fresh non ethanol, new NGKs, and seafoam brought it out of it. I'll still need a teardown eventually tho

Last edited:
After you get that cleaned up, my suggestion would be to run NON ethanol whenever you can. That damn corn gas screwed up my Tour deluxe V4 this year but fresh non ethanol, new NGKs, and seafoam brought it out of it. I'll still need a teardown eventually tho

Ty Tbird, I only use non-ethanol fuel...corn stuff is nasty on carbs. RMSVMAX, will be calling you when I get back from work travels, middle of next month...TY

Back