cerakote

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with cerakote on exhaust systems? I am doing the motor and was thinking about the exhaust. Its a set of stainless hindle head pipes if it makes any difference.

There will be a benefit by ceramic coating the exhaust in that the heat will stay within the pipes. As the gasses cool they become denser and slow down and will alter how the positive and negative pressure waves move along the pipes.
I have no idea what you will gain in terms of power but I suspect not sufficient that you would notice.
The other benefit is that it will improve the looks of the system and you will have something that not many other do.

That in itself must be worth a huge number of GG's! :D

We are putting in an order for materials from caswell and they have silver,black,gold,titanium and green?? yes green like ugly green. The price is right i guess.

I figured while i was doing the piston tops, chambers and valves I could do the frankenxhaust. its part hindle and part kerker, mostly repaired and very ugly.

I guess it couldn't get uglier.

I think the jury is still out on performance gains. sometimes a build is more receptive to certain modifications than others. i'm in just to cover my bad tig welding and the chrome stainless combo ive got going on.

Its the same for the piston,head,valve coating. maybe a gain maybe not. A friend of mine owns a dodge diesel pulling truck called gunsmoke. He shows significant gains both dyno and feet pulled with it. But he's over 2000hp on a cummins diesel b. Other guys show almost nothing.

But hey a couple here a few more there. if you can gain 10-15 hp 1-2 at a time in several places why not?

Last edited:
Unless you can make the combustion in the headspace hotter or the compression higher, I doubt you gain any performance by insulating your exhaust system with a coating. The coating on the outside has zero effect. Once the exhaust cycle is over the engine doesn't care about anything post exhaust port. Maybe coating the inside of the pipes will give you a slightly improved air flow...Now if you had ceramic-coated pistons, heads, valves and ports, that would give you some increase in performance.
I would definitely pay $200 to coat the exhaust if they were near me and could do it in black.

hot exhaust = fast exhaust. cold exhaust = slow exhaust. more velocity = better scavenging.

Not even addressing the effects of exhaust heat and turbo efficiency.

typical heat wrap can retain some 50% of the heat in the pipe, faster exhaust,better scavenging. More out = more in.

typical ceramic coatings can retain 25-40%

mercedes benz formula 1 engineers went with a smaller diameter exhaust even though it more restrictive, deciding the higher velocity of the exhaust would loose less heat and offset the hp loss compared to larger diameter slower exhaust.

But like I said some builds won't accept it. With higher end headers very "tuned" pipes built for specific engines not the general "one pipe fits all" pipe. Speeding up the gases beyond the builders design for a particular wave resonance could be detrimental.

As an example the R&B lsr pipe on my 100hp 80" evo made less power when wraped, almost a full 10 by changing the wave resonace. The pipe didnt like it. kinda looked cool though.

In my case even at 1428 and higher compression the gain from heat retention would probably only be single digit mostly due to exhaust length. But like i said 2 from velocity, 2-3 from retained chamber heat from chamber coating, 1 or 2 from proper cam timing In the end maybe only 10 hp...about the same from a stage 7 jet kit and a kerker. at a fraction of the cost. I'll take it.

added is an excerpt from Engine building basics . and some good reading.9577DB1C-48B0-4CAE-970B-F5681944B34A.png58DDC534-3236-4419-A3B2-9E9D2F27C2E5.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a set of Dale Walker Holeshots done recently. 175 bucks here in Phoenix. Don’t know and don’t care about performance gains. All I know is they look a heck of a lot better than they did!

I had them done after seeing the pipes on a friends ZRX 12. The high-gloss chrome like ceramic coat is really nice. I am considering having the process done on the Kerker I have for sale. If I do, you can bet that the price will go up a bit…

Back