Chain tools

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakRatFink

Reaction score
This is gonna sound funny on a forum dedicated to shaft drive bike BUT, I am about to swap sprockets and a new chain on my old FZR fighter project. Plus, my wife now has her KLX, so I have 2 chain bikes in my garage. I think it is finally time to invest in a chain tool.

Does anyone have any experience with any brands or types they want to share? I have heard some negative reviews on the Motion Pro ones. Just wondering if anyone on here has any input on their experiences.

I like everything I've got from Motion pro so far. I haven't got the chain tool though.
i'm sure others will help ya out here.
Steve-o

Can't remember what brand my chain tool is but it's done a lot of chains without any problems. If I can remember i'll look at the brand on it.

Sean

An angle grinder with a cutoff wheel works great to shorten chains. Not so good for putting them together.

Yeah this is what I am trying to avoid.

Can't remember what brand my chain tool is but it's done a lot of chains without any problems. If I can remember i'll look at the brand on it.

Sean

Thanks for the help, Sean. The chain and sprockets are great. Now I just have to get them on. ( The FZR still needs more work beyond that, but it is a start.

I always dodged the need for a chain tool, I used a grinder to break the old one, and then went to the dealer and got a clip-style master link for the new one....no tools needed other than some pliers to get the clip on.

I've never had a clip master come apart or otherwise give problems, and they're so much easier to deal with than the rivet style.

RK Chain Tool is what I have. I have used the Motion Pro tool as well (and see Motion Pro stuff).

Sean

Sean. The RK is one of the ones I was looking at. It gets pretty good reviews overall.

Also, I am giving the clip type master link some thought, too. I might see if any local shops have one that fits a 520 chain.

Yeah, I think I might see if either of the two shops I care to deal with are open tomorrow, and if they have them. Otherwise, if I decide to go the rivet/tool direction. That one Kyle uses looks like a great value for the price.

Personally I've seen clip style master clips break/come off higher hp bikes and create a lot of damage. For this reason I would never use one except on a dirt bike or small bike.

:twocents:

Yeah, I'm not so much worried about the brute power of the 600(sic) as I am the strain the aggressive hooligan style riding the Fizzer will most likely be subject to.

All Chains are NOT the same and links vary significantly! You can't simply get a 520 clip master link and have it fit anything. The various brands and types of chains they offer have different clips.

The RK tool (and I have used the motion pro tool) work very well and don't require any special tools or grinding to use. I can even ship you mine to use if you want to pay shipping there and back.

I sell chains if you need one as well lol!

Sean

I sell chains if you need one as well lol!

Sean
I bought the chain from you. :) The rear Driven sprocket is great. I got steel over alloy for the durability, but it was a lot lighter than I expected. I've been looking at the RK chain tool you said you use. I am between one of those and the Pit Posse one Kyle said he uses. I figure between the bike I got the sprockets for and my wife's KLX I will get enough use out of the investment in a tool over the next few years.

Oh and as usual, thank you to everyone for being so helpful. That is why I love this forum. ( That and the fact people type in English instead of text speak )

Last edited:
Yes, make sure if you get a clip-link you get one made by the same brand as the chain. It should come with the little o or x rings and a tiny packet of grease.

I've had spotty luck with the "hardware store bin" links. Never used one on a streetbike, but even on my minibike that 14.5 through a torque converter snapped one going full tilt up a hill....so yeah....I wouldn't trust them on a street bike. I can definitely vouch that chain sizes slightly vary between brands....minibike uses #40 chain and I've had multiple times where a brand x chain and a brand y master just don't work....too tight to get the clip on.

I have the Pit Posse wheel bearing tool & it works great. I don't have other of their tools, I have a chain breaker I have had for years, and on the rare occasions I have needed a chain riveter, I just bring it to my friend's shop.

i believe i have the pit posse chain tool and it worked well the couple times i used it so far.

Latest posts

Back