changed battery still wont start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yammaddogg

Reaction score
Just bought 85max from buddy he thought battery was shot he would push start it then ran fine I changed battery same thing it turns over very very slow (as if dead battery) is there a way I can bypass some wiring straight to starter or something to diagnos or what u think thanks for any input:bang head:

If you're sure the battery is good, check the main engine ground...it's on a bolt near the oil fill cap. Take the bolt out and ensure the metal is clean and not rusty or corroded. Check the connections on the starter relay(sits directly above the battery), and also the bolt on the starter for it's power.

The starter could be nearly dead also...the 85's had the original 2-brush starter which was marginal even when working perfectly, and they didn't tend to work perfectly for long. Later bikes had stronger 4-brush starters. It's possible to rebuild the motor but most people opt to get a new 4-brush one instead.

You could run a lead directly from the battery to the starter post and see if it improves, but if it's a lousy ground or bad starter it will still turn slowly anyway.

My vote goes for bad starter though.

85,,, until the 4 pole starter was introduced are known to turn over very slow, especially when warm. Soldering the Stator Wires, Ground Connections and 12 volt leads helps immensely.... Especially with a standard battery... All of this to eliminate corrosion prone connectors....

oh i noticed when i turn it over lights go out everything pretty much dies out and when i first turn key on it goes "tick tick tick tick tick tick stops then when i go to start it when i say it turns slow its like im turnin it over by hand it will try like five times realy slow then stop tryin "short maybe " i'll check the ground points as advised after work tomorow an let u know what turns out thanks so much for input weather turned to crap here in MN kinda good dont feel totally rushed that way:ummm:

The tick tick tick tick tick is your electric fuel pump building pressure. Headlight going out when you hit start button is normal on a Vmax. Get a new 4 pole starter and fully charged battery and you should be good to go.

Back