Changed battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll let Sean inform you about how he uses Facebook for advertising his products and services.

An AGM battery is an upgrade from a lead acid battery.

My Li-iron battery has lasted longer than any lead-acid battery I've had over 30 years of VMax ownership.

How much do those special batteries cost? I mean, if I can get a basic gel battery for 25 bucks that lasts reliably for at least 4 years then it is a hard one to beat. I can understand weight savings when racing but not racing the quarter mile. There's better solutions for straight line racing.

$25, you get some deals sir. Cheapest I saw that might work was $39 on ebay.

$60 for this -> Y50-N18L-A3 Battery for Honda GL1500 Gold Wing 1500CC 1988-2000 840140940312 | eBay - 340 CCA seemed pretty good

I have had regular batteries leak and rust/corrode my MX's before. I'll spend a few more for the no leaking kind.

Yea, I don't need an expensive battery made of high explosives. Yea, I know they rarely blow up but the $$$ factor is just too high to save a few pounds. I could eat less and get the same result cheaper.

My odyssey pc680
Is 13 years old.And still working like new.
That's impressive!

I recall doing a problem in statistics about battery service life, I suspect your results is what is considered an 'outlier' or a 'rare event.' Regardless, it's a great service life.

Yuasa had a contest years-ago to find the oldest battery still in-service. I don't recall the exact rules, but the winner was an owner of a small Honda, I think it was a scooter. The battery was as I recall the original, and the bike was a 1960's product.

We recently replaced a hot water heater 240V that was in-service at my in-law's home since 1988. It still was working fine, but as an act of preventative maintenance it was replaced by another. That's 35 years! I think it had a 2 year guarantee on the label.

At our house, there is a porch light which has a 120V bulb and has lasted also 35 years.

Sometimes you get 'a good one.'

We have a large battery factory here nearby, in Europe famous quality brand "Banner". One of their engineers is a close friend of mine and told me the main problem of battery life in a VMax is that the battery is very close to the rear exhaust manifold. The larger the distance the less heat the battery gets.
So finally I have installed a Li-Ion battery, which is way smaller and I can increase the distance to the heat source substancially. Drilled a number of holes in the battery case to avoid heat jam and put it in the highest possible location, too.
Last year zero problem with this "upgrade", also using LED headlights with just some 5-15W consumption to decrease power leaks when starting.

A heat deflector might be a good idea also. With a smaller battery some insulation inside the battery box too.
Plumbers use a heat blanket/flame protector when using a torch for soldering, going to a Li-iron battery and using a heat blanket/flame protector may provide the best distance and insulating properties. A spacer below the battery and the heat blanket/flame protector could be the ticket.

https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey-flame-protector--2068652191

Latest posts

Back