changed rear tire - speed indicator not working / ABS stays amber

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speakerfritz

Reaction score

good day everyone.

wonder if anyone out there ran into a simular situation.

I have a 2014 vmax which I bought new. rear tire finally wore out at the present 22K miles.

during the removal of the axle...the axle was almost impossible to get out....serious pounding and spray penetrate was needed...after 5 hours...finally came out...surprisingly..no thread damage but the axle itself had signs of black corrosion .

did the rubber aspects of the tire change in about 15 minutes and everything was reassembled 30 minutes later. re-install was un eventful.

test rode fine....BUT.

now I have an ABS light that stays on and no MPH indication.

my theories as to what went wrong....

a) the spray penetrent changed the properties of the magnetic coating of the stripes on the disc that the ABS sensor monitors. the fix for this would be to replace the ABS disc.

b) durng the removal or install...perhaps I damaged the cable on the ABS sensor. fix for this is to replace the sensor.

other thoughts...if the sensor cable was bad....would I get a flashing amber ABS light

Im assuming this is most likely a corupted magnetic coating problem and Im assuming that the MPH indicator is signaling of the ABS disc that the ABS monitor is measuring.

would be interested in other theories and comments.

anyone know of a good website to get part numbers for parts. partzilla assumes you know the part number and most of the parts that comeback on a search just have partnumber labels as pic and no actual pics of the individual parts.

other than that, the bike runs fine and Im using it to go to work as is until I figure out how to back out of this error.

thanks for any comments.

Parts Manual

Attachments

• vmx17yb_ycb1parts.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 5

good day everyone.

wonder if anyone out there ran into a simular situation.

I have a 2014 vmax which I bought new. rear tire finally wore out at the present 22K miles.

during the removal of the axle...the axle was almost impossible to get out....serious pounding and spray penetrate was needed...after 5 hours...finally came out...surprisingly..no thread damage but the axle itself had signs of black corrosion .

did the rubber aspects of the tire change in about 15 minutes and everything was reassembled 30 minutes later. re-install was un eventful.

test rode fine....BUT.

now I have an ABS light that stays on and no MPH indication.

my theories as to what went wrong....

a) the spray penetrent changed the properties of the magnetic coating of the stripes on the disc that the ABS sensor monitors. the fix for this would be to replace the ABS disc.

b) durng the removal or install...perhaps I damaged the cable on the ABS sensor. fix for this is to replace the sensor.

other thoughts...if the sensor cable was bad....would I get a flashing amber ABS light

Im assuming this is most likely a corupted magnetic coating problem and Im assuming that the MPH indicator is signaling of the ABS disc that the ABS monitor is measuring.

would be interested in other theories and comments.

anyone know of a good website to get part numbers for parts. partzilla assumes you know the part number and most of the parts that comeback on a search just have partnumber labels as pic and no actual pics of the individual parts.

other than that, the bike runs fine and Im using it to go to work as is until I figure out how to back out of this error.

thanks for any comments.

I know it was very important not to allow the ABS sensor once removed during rear wheel removal and hanging by its wire not to contact any metal. I tape it up in a safe position during my rear wheel removals.

Latest posts

Back