Changed Stator Coil...Bike still hard starting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad-Max89

Reaction score
Changed the Stator Coil the other day all went good I forgot to re-charge the battery. Was out riding the bike when the bike just quit running got it home pulled the battery out and noticed 4 cells were about half out of fluid so I added some distiled water then re-charged the bike. The next day the bike fired right up so thought everything was fine bike sat for a week finaly got to get out but it started kinda hard again. I took it for a short ride around town ran good but as soon as I got home shut bike off then tried to re-start it again and the battery is dead again and it's a pretty new battery got it in spring. Does anyone have an idea what may be going on with my bike I'm going to check the load on the battery I hope it's just a minor problem...PLEASE HELP!!

The ONLY reason I said I had to re-charge the battery before I new the stator was going It was starting to drain the battery think all the hard starting drained the cells on the battery.

Since you have an '89, you have the old shunt type regulator/rectifier. It's behind the passenger peg on the left side of the bike. Start the bike with the seat off and test voltage across the battery with the motor idling. Then rev the motor up and see what you get. At idle you should have at minimum 12.8 volts or so, and ideally 14-14.5 revved up. If the voltage sucks despite the new stator, there's your culprit. You might also want to directly ground the r/r to the battery, and run the red output wire directly to the + battery post...bypassing the notorious "crimp" in the harness. Also eliminate the 3 stator wire harness connector, cut and splice.

I originally had about 12.5 at idle and 12.7 revved up.
My low voltage was the product of three things....bad stator, bad r/r, and the overall shitty OEM wiring harness connectors. New stator from Rick's, a new MOSFET r/r off a Ninja ZX10, and wiring that new r/r directly to the battery fixed it for me. Initially I just did the r/r, then voltage was good cold but crappy hot. New stator, all good. 13v at hot idle, and 14.4 from about 1500 RPM.

By hard starting I assume you mean a slow crank-over. The load from the starter is constant, so lowering the volts increases the amps drawn, which can cause excess heat, though I've never seen a battery boil off from it.

Great I will try that hope that works been getting pissed because this bike has been running so good for the past 2 years I have owened it. I have been fixing a lot of things on the bike that have neen not taken care of since it was new. I love this bike it's in MINT condtion get a lot of looks when I take it out I have put around 2500 miles on it this summer that's a lot for living here in Western New York. I have a good friend that has showen me how to do a lot of work on bikes over the years so guess this will be a new challenge for me. Just hope it's a simple fix wan't to get out and do some more riding fall is coming and it's awesome here in the fall. Thanks for the help will keep you posted on how it turns out.

Thanks Again

Latest posts

Back