changing needle seat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1956

Reaction score
Has anyone changed the needle seats in vmax carbs? Do you have to remove the staked in place plug above the seat?

I haven't ever had to. I just blow with a 80 psi of compressed air from inside the bowl to clear the filter net on the other side. Usually just replacing the needle itself prevents leak issues. I believe the old plug needs to be drilled out but Morley would know for sure.

I was always under the impression that when you change the needle, you change the seat (plug?) as well. :confused2: But if you have to drill it out ... what a pain. Can see why you'd only replace the needle then.
Curious too as to what Sean has to say about this too.

Yeah, he's talking about the needle valve that's tied to the float. He mentioned the brass plug that sits above it.

It is a pain to swap and I have yet to even bother. most of the time a leaky jet can be fixed by swapping the needle itself out.

Sean

That's good news, I didn't change mine during my carb's rebuild! "I thought I may have took a short cut".

Bill

id like to know how its done! the carbs im rebuilding and putting a jet kit in, had one needle seat that had been rubbed into a groove and the needle itself froze in it. it came out covered in film. so after looking at its replacement in the rebuild kit i tried soaking it in parts cleaner overnite and pressing it out the top.... and really screwed it up. see picture. so can someone tell me how to remove?

Attachments

• IMG_20120609_204157.jpg
    IMG_20120609_204157.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 43
Back