Changing spark plugs when hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shure you can. be carefull when installing tho....a hot engine is easier to strip the threads. dont overtight.

Someone that owns a factory service manual will eventually chime in, with Yamaha's procedure.
Generally not recommended to remove plugs from an aluminum head, with the engine hot, due to different expansion rates of metals.
I've always used a very thin coat of spark plug lubricant when installing, for peace of mind. However, some plug manufacturers claim this is not needed, since a special type of metal coating is used on their threads, which prevents seizing and galling. Might be good to check the NGK website.
Cheers!

someone that owns a factory service manual will eventually chime in, with yamaha's procedure.
Generally not recommended to remove plugs from an aluminum head, with the engine hot, due to different expansion rates of metals.
I've always used a very thin coat of spark plug lubricant when installing, for peace of mind. However, some plug manufacturers claim this is not needed, since a special type of metal coating is used on their threads, which prevents seizing and galling. Might be good to check the ngk website.
Cheers!

+1

This is all good information to know...because I was taught to let them cool....but then you might not get an accurate view of the plugs.

Thanks

Also a good idea is to blow compressed air in the holes located below the spark plugs will force any dirt out, keeping it from going down into the mtr.

Also a good idea is to blow compressed air in the holes located below the spark plugs will force any dirt out, keeping it from going down into the mtr.

+1 The wells the plugs set in hold little stones which can easily tumble into the cylinders when the plugs are removed.....I wouldn't mind seeing the drain holes doubled in size.

Back