Changing the Water Pump Mechanical Seal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94 V-Max Rider

Reaction score
My brother's 2007 V-Max is leaking coolant at the weep hole, which indicates to me that the mechanical seal is in need of replacement. I referred to the service manual and it lists the following special tools as needed: Yamaha Water pump Seal Installer (YM-04058-1 and YM-33221. Another requirement is Yamaha "Quick Gasket"

My questions are:

1) Is the special tool necessary or is there an alternative method that anybody has tried successfully?

2) Does the seal get coated and is there an alternative gasket sealer I can use? The manuals' wording is a bit confusing.

Thanks for any responses.

Last edited:
I have put several seals in different Venture water pumps (identical to Vmax) without any problems and no failures.

I have used a large socket that fits to the edge of the outer rim of the carbide/spring seal. I put a 2x6 board on the back side of the pump housing and put it in 6" vice. Start the seal inlightly by hand to get it started, then press in with vice & socket. Seal must go straight in, if it starts to angle at all reposition to get it going in straight.

Ceramic side can be pressed in by hand.

Be very careful of not damaging the carbide seal face on the pressed side, it is very hard & easily chipped.

I have worked with these seals for years when I was a designer for a pump company.

Picture shows parts involved, impeller not shown.

Gary

Attachments

• water pump parts.JPG
    water pump parts.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 60
thanks for the info, i'm weaping oil around the case seal and a tiny drop of coolant every once in a while so i'm going to tackle this this winter

the haynes manual also lists just using sockets.

thanks for the info, i'm weaping oil around the case seal and a tiny drop of coolant every once in a while so i'm going to tackle this this winter

the haynes manual also lists just using sockets.

Like Tom said G, all of a sudden it dumps the coolant on you. It happened here Sat. I wouldn't of made 12 miles if I hadn't noticed it. The few drops are an indication the worse is going to follow.

Seize the opportunity to do a write up with lots of photos if you can... Another sticky to the tech section... Just saying...

Like Tom said G, all of a sudden it dumps the coolant on you. It happened here Sat. I wouldn't of made 12 miles if I hadn't noticed it. The few drops are an indication the worse is going to follow.

yea i'm just hoping to make it 'til the winter. my oil leak is worse than the coolant one. coolant is a drop every month or so.

As i said before keep an eye on that coolant level in the filler neck. if it drops below the neck you're cooking the engine (i.e. no circulation ..Found this out the hard way!)

As i said before keep an eye on that coolant level in the filler neck. if it drops below the neck you're cooking the engine (i.e. no circulation ..Found this out the hard way!)

shouldn't the res help with any leaking?

Back