charging problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc49

Reaction score
I wrote about the problem before.i had my 91 vmax fall over on the left side then developed a no charge problem.i replaced regulator and did run red wire from reg like the tech article said to the battery with 30 amp fuse.fixed the crimp problem.cleaned grounds and ran grd.from reg. to battery.i checked the stator and running got 40 volts out and rises with rpm.soldered stator wires eliminating plugs.i started bike and got 13.6 at battery.rode bike thinking problem was solved got home and the aftermarket reg.has
brown goo coming out and is so hot i cant touch it and battery is back to 12 volts.let everything cool off and it charges again.what do i check next and did i overlook something.i have the original reg that checks ok when doing the diode test.should i put it back in.

While you have the three-wire connector apart, check for the resistance between legs and continuity to ground,(both with bike not running) as outlined in the Electrosport tec article (the a.c. output voltage seems fine).
Then install the OEM R/R. Sounds like the aftermarket one went south. Depending on where you purchased it, you may be due for a full or partial refund. But don't hold your breath on that one.
All charging issues and solutions are based on the assumption of having a good battery in use. Make sure that this is not an issue, before doing anything else.
Cheers1

Is 40 volts at the Stator normal? I've never heard of these kind of volts with a 12V system.

Matt

You should have AC voltage in that range (or higher I think is normal) which is converted to DC voltage by the regulator/rectifier.

Sean

I have 41 volts ac at idle on all 3 stator wires.i dont show a short between wires when set on continuity.could the stator be bad when warm,if so how would you check it.a friend told me you can only tell by pulling stator and looking at it.its just weird that all this started when the bike fell over while running.i dont want to buy a stator just for the hell of it.im done pulling my hair out for today might try the stock reg. tomorrow .besides i dont have too much hair left.this bikes going to make bald.

It sounds like you got a bad aftermarket rectifier too.
It obviously got cooked to have brown goo coming out of it.
I'd try the stock rectifier and see how it does.

You should have AC voltage in that range (or higher I think is normal) which is converted to DC voltage by the regulator/rectifier.

Sean

Since nobody else had commented on it, I guessed it must be correct. I had not realized it went that high, thanks.

Matt

I have 41 volts ac at idle on all 3 stator wires.i dont show a short between wires when set on continuity.could the stator be bad when warm,if so how would you check it.a friend told me you can only tell by pulling stator and looking at it.its just weird that all this started when the bike fell over while running.i dont want to buy a stator just for the hell of it.im done pulling my hair out for today might try the stock reg. tomorrow .besides i dont have too much hair left.this bikes going to make bald.

You check for resistance between all three legs of the stator, then check each leg for continuity to ground (should be none).
the procedure is outlined here;

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=994

As for another question of yours, yes, stators can go bad when they heat up. So do the resistance and ground checks when the bike is stone cold, then connect up and operate the bike to running temps, shut down and disconnect, and repeat the measurements as soon as possible.
If both cold and hot measurements are good, I would try using the OEM R/R again.
All providing the battery is O.K., of course.

Yes, "hot w/brown goo coming out of it" is typical for a bad electrical component. Replace it.

Back