charging wires "upgrade"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrizog60

Reaction score
hello

new vmax owner,a 2002 model that had 8000km on clock but was sitting for a year due to a crash.

after cleaning the bike i rode her the first time to see that when hot it would miss at idle up to 2000rpm.
carbs shotgunned and same.

went to see the voltage and it was only charging 13.6volts at mid rpm and voltage increases very slowly.
at the end of the regulator positive wire almost 14 but still short for what is normal.
at the end of the stator wires checked the voltage and one of them is only putting out 2volts so its time for a new stator.

i am a bike mechanic and i can have the stator rewinded so thats ok for me and hopes that solves the idle problem.

now,what i want to add to the forum...

i read the crimp fixes,new R/R from R1 and such but i think i may add some more to this subject.
previous bike was a VFR750 that also suffered from stock from charging problems.

replaced R/R from a R1 unit(almost every R/R work,despite the brand,just need to be 5 wires-3 charging,1 ground and one positive.) and to solve all the resistance from the juice entering the wire loom and them to the battery i made a Y on both the ground and charging wire coming from the rectifier and the extra wires went directly to the battery.

that alone made me gain 0.5volts,a more stable voltage rate and never had problems again.

hope it helps others and sorry for some english misspelling,i´m portuguese.

Lots of us have done the wire mod, but your post may well help a newcomer solve the problem. Thanks for posting! Welcome to the forum!

thanks
hope it helps others,will post some pics of the bike soon.
wildweasel,how much amps can be had so it needs to protect the battery?

For instance. Voltage at the stator should be around 50vac so if that reaches your battery the least concern you have is losing the battery. This is if it doesn't start a fire.

good point,had that trouble on my vfr750 where r/r went bad and overcharged the battery.
almost exploded below my nuts coming from faro...

30A fuse on the way.

Latest posts

Back