cheapest inverted fork conversion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavgrab302

Reaction score
Going to see if there is a conversion out there that I haven't seen yet, the cheapest inverted fork conversion kit I've seen so far is from cycleoneoff.com for around $1300. So anyone find a cheaper one?

Paid $400 for my last set up. Went to a salvage yard and pulled the front end off a 1990 FZR 1000. Direct bolt up.

Guys you may be correct. They might not have been off a 1990 but I could have sworn they were. If not it had to be a 91 or 92. I had just sold my 94 FZR1000 and I know it was just a few years older than that. We're going back to 2000 when I did the swap so I may be off on the year. I do remember that it was a direct bolt on. Spent more than a few hours doing research at the time and I am almost certain the Vmax and the FZR used either the exact same head bearing or the exact same specs. Here is a picture of it in 2005. That's me in the back ground, I had both of my bikes at the dealership at the same time and the GF took a picture since they were both clean. :)

Attachments

• R1-Vmax.jpg
    R1-Vmax.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 183
Yeah the forks were inverted but after a little searching I definitely misspoke with the 1990. Had to be a 91 or 92. I would have put money on it being a 1990 before looking it up though, don't know why that year stuck in my head.
Yes I actually traded in both bikes in mid 05 and now 6 years later bought another Vmax to start all over.

Yup, from 91 tehy were inverted on fzr1000.

I wonder how it was handling since it could be direct swap.
Its still lighter bike then v-max. 91 FZR 1000 is somnething around 236 kg's wet.

It handled noticeably better after the swap. Did the Progressive rear shocks at the same time. Can't remember what the shock number was but I believe they were 11". It did shorten the wheel base a small amount too. Before I did it almost everyone told me changing the rake would negatively affect handling but I never noticed that aspect. I only noticed it handled better. Good enough that I'm going to start looking at doing the same swap on this bike in the near future.

Also I'd assume most conversion you can still use the speedo light and the risers, cause I like the vmax look, just can't stand the wobble. No other kits anyone can think of. I do like the idea of a direct swap, were the 91 forks smaller in diameter?

Also I'd assume most conversion you can still use the speedo light and the risers, cause I like the vmax look, just can't stand the wobble. No other kits anyone can think of. I do like the idea of a direct swap, were the 91 forks smaller in diameter?

Wobble is not the sympthom of inverted/non inverted forks.
This will change nothing.

Back