Check out this cafe race Gold Wing....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing I like is that it's a cohesive whole, not some stocker where someone cut-off the rear frame loop, slapped on a thin upholstered plank for a seat, and added chunky tires while eliminating the fenders, and called it, "custom."

Also the model puts to-shame the Easyriders magazine models.

From the rear taillight elegantly sculpted into the seat, to the flowing faring in true café racer form this Gold Wing transformation is visually stunning! The clean and uncluttered look to the engine and rear section, details like a leather lined fairing cockpit and simple speedometer tucked into the fairing fit nicely to the café racer heritage this motorcycle showcases. The engine's hallmark flat 6 motor of a original touring prodigy has been has been made to look right at home on café racers style. The sound of the engine fits perfectly the slightly snarly note to give it just enough edge to finish the package perfectly. The model is not to bad herself!

From the rear taillight elegantly sculpted into the seat, to the flowing faring in true café racer form this Gold Wing transformation is visually stunning! The clean and uncluttered look to the engine and rear section, details like a leather lined fairing cockpit and simple speedometer tucked into the fairing fit nicely to the café racer heritage this motorcycle showcases. The engine's hallmark flat 6 motor of a original touring prodigy has been has been made to look right at home on café racers style. The sound of the engine fits perfectly the slightly snarly note to give it just enough edge to finish the package perfectly. The model is not to bad herself!

It's actually a flat 4. The 6 didn't come in until the 1500 wing came out. I had a 78 that I pulled the baffles on, and I had Harley guys telling me it sounded good. The reverb on shifts sounded amazing, nothing like a Harley. It would scream all the way to 11,000 rpm. Redline started at 9g and ended at 10g lol. I'm looking for another that doesn't need allot work, I'd like to make a cafe racer out of it. They are peg grinders for sure. My first bike, sold it after I got my 97 vmax......... Sold that last year for my gen 2.

It's actually a flat 4. The 6 didn't come in until the 1500 wing came out. I had a 78 that I pulled the baffles on, and I had Harley guys telling me it sounded good. The reverb on shifts sounded amazing, nothing like a Harley. It would scream all the way to 11,000 rpm. Redline started at 9g and ended at 10g lol. I'm looking for another that doesn't need allot work, I'd like to make a cafe racer out of it. They are peg grinders for sure. My first bike, sold it after I got my 97 vmax......... Sold that last year for my gen 2.
Ah yes, a detail I overlooked, sounds sweet nonetheless!

Yeah they are smooth bikes. And fast. Not vmax fast. But for what they were for their time period.

Not even in the same stadium with a Vmax. I’ve had my 78 GL1000 for about seven years now. When I bought it, it was a fully dressed Vetterized monster. But an extremely well-kept monster. It has been a pleasure to own and ride, but it is no speedster. But, it will happily motor along all day long, every day, it will outlast me. In fact, my son wants it. It’s the one Motorcycle in my stable he has expressed serious interest in.

Nowhere near what the subject bike is, but it does attract attention. You don’t see one every day.
737848FE-21BD-4132-B3C0-FF21C8867B88.jpegFD551A50-F521-43AF-ADBB-E981528E951B.jpegFFAD6AF1-EBED-4BAE-B089-DF89D69088DB.jpeg

Oh, and by the way, I did run the Weber 40s for two seasons. They were a pain for a couple of reasons. Side shelters were tough to access, decent air cleaners wouldn’t clear without scalloping those same shelters, fuel mileage sucked, and it smelled like gas all the time. Plus, it had a flat spot off idle that I just simply wasn’t smart enough to cure. Ran like stink once I got past it.

4B76529E-E028-4569-840C-9D0F11438E19.png

Last edited:
I saw 2 of those last weekend, the first was a bit tatty but the second was quite mint in appearance, I stopped next to it at traffic lights before we went in different directions and realised just how huge/long they are for an older bike, I would like to have one, I there must've been an owners meet somewhere nearby as seeing 2 in 1 day is very rare

Here's a Gold Wing from my friend's shop, all custom carbon-fiber, done in-house. You see it has different carburetion, that would be Webers. The bike is pretty-much finished now. I need to get pics of it together and done. You can see the rear sub-frame that was made and the electrical components tray, and wiring being done. Note the DYNA green ignition coils, and the integrated instrument behind the fairing.

Someone was asking about how to restore his carbon-fiber, you can see this before the bodywork was cleared, it all looks like the front failing now. In the 1st pic, the owner is taking no-chances with his bike, he doesn't want it to catch COVID.
Hondal Gold Wing carbon-fiber.05.jpg

Honda Gold Wing carbon-fiber.01.jpgHonda Gold Wing c-f.04.jpgHonda Gold Wing Weber carbs.01.jpgHonda Gold Wing c-f.01.jpg

Last edited:
I saw 2 of those last weekend, the first was a bit tatty but the second was quite mint in appearance, I stopped next to it at traffic lights before we went in different directions and realised just how huge/long they are for an older bike, I would like to have one, I there must've been an owners meet somewhere nearby as seeing 2 in 1 day is very rare

A few years back I was at one of our local cycle salvage yards looking for some bit or other. I ran into two gents from England who'd been there over a week. They were loading a shipping container with bits and bikes. Surprisingly, one of their target models was early 4 cylinder Goldwings!

Beautiful Goldwing.
Never been a fan running an engine without some sort of air filter. Seems like a good way to suck up dust, dirt, rocks and everything else that would be trouble for a top end.......Even at the drag strip

Back